User defined content for NavMenu RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Expression Web 4 and I am trying to figure out if it is possible to create a navmenu that would display a submenu based on a new document a user has uploaded. For example lets say I had a menu button for forms, but I make it possible for a user to put forms into a folder that I would like to display. I understand Un-ordered lists but I dont understand how or even if this is possible. Thank you for any help...

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:48 PM

Answers

• This would require some code to a) handle the uploaded file and b) to create the menu based on a list of the uploaded files from the upload directory. It's not hugely difficult but neither is it a trivial task and is best handled in Visual Studio rather than EW.

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    • Marked as answer by Lugnut2010 Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:17 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:03 PM

All replies

• This would require some code to a) handle the uploaded file and b) to create the menu based on a list of the uploaded files from the upload directory. It's not hugely difficult but neither is it a trivial task and is best handled in Visual Studio rather than EW.

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    • Marked as answer by Lugnut2010 Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:17 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Is the TreeViewControl what I am after? Or am I totally off based here.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:31 PM
  • You need more than a simple TreeViewControl.

As Ian said, you need to have a way to modify what drives the TreeViewControl (typically a static XML sitemap file) based on files uploaded to your site.  [In addition, you have the separate requirement of the coding to manage the file uploads.]  This is a coding question best suited for the asp.net forum, if yours is (or could be) an asp.net site.  http://forums.asp.net/

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:59 PM