Change the Installation Folder URL RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an applicaton which I deploy to several different customers. I enjoy using ClickOnce, because it checks before starting the application whether a new version is available. So, when a new version is ready, I simply place it on the customer's server and all users are updated.

When I publish the application, I set the "Publishing Folder Location" to a directory on my machine. I also set the "Installation Folder URL" to the name of the directory which will contain the new version, on the customer's server.

Problem is, each customer has a different name for their server. Therefore, I have to make a different Publish for each customer...

Is there a way for me to do things differently ?

For example, may I disable the "Installation Folder URL" function and write something that would look into a small XML file to find the location of the new version ?

Thanks

Saturday, December 4, 2010 3:46 PM

Answers

• Syrgien,

Is what you are saying that you provide your application to multiple customers, and you don't want to have to do different deployments for every customer just because their installation URL is different?

What you can do is exclude the deployment provider URL and just let your customers provide it to the users. There is a checkbox in the Options dialog in the Publish tab for the project properties.

When the user installs the application, it sets the deployment provider URL on his computer and retains it. It will always look there for upgrades after that. Basically, it gets it from wherever it installs it.

This isn't the most secure thing on the planet. A better idea is for the customer to use mage to set the deployment URL and re-sign the manifest (with his own certificate, thank you very much), and you could write a script for it. But frankly, if the deployment is on their internal intranet and NOT on the external internet, it's probably okay.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    • Marked as answer by Sygrien Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:37 PM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 9:07 AM
  • First, you CAN use MageUI to change the installation URL. The installation url is called "Start Location" and it is in the Deployment Options tab.

Second, you need to change the url that the setup.exe points to; it is embedded in the setup.exe. Use a command window, and type in the command: setup.exe -? and it will show you the options.

To change the URL pointing to the deployment, use the -url option. here's an example.

setup.exe -url=http://myserver.com/myappfolder/myapp.application

RobinDotNet

• Marked as answer by RobinDotNet Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:44 PM
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 11:10 PM

All replies

• Hello Sygrien,

Please refer to my reply in this thread:   
       Using string in Application Folder DefaultLocation
       http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/thread/bb29ddad-97ec-45e7-81e0-faf80f4ca8c9

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Helen Zhou

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to Microsoft All-In-One Code Framework to download or request code samples from Microsoft Community Team!
    Monday, December 6, 2010 6:05 AM
  • Thanks Helen

I feel the thread you mention is not responding to my concern, although I may have misunderstood, so let me rephrase :

The thread you mention seems to be related to a Windows Installer setup project, where you can expand the "View File System" tab and access the properties of the directories.

My question is related to a ClickOnce setup project, where I open the "Publish"  tab of the Project properties. Here, I can type any value in the "Publish Folder Location" text field and the "Installation Folder URL" text field.

My question is : if I have different customers and each of them has a different name for their server, is there an easier way to manage the situation than to build a different "Publish" for each customer ?

Thanks

Monday, December 6, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Hello Sygrien,

Really sorry for misunderstanding.

For your question, it's not depends on customer side of "their server", it is depends on your appointed location which cutomer will install from, eg. publish an application to your server using ftp, in which case the publishing file location will be ftp://myserver/myvirtualfolder/myapp and the installation url might be http://myserver/myapp . If you want the Publish Folder Location to be the same with Installation Folder, just need to typing in publish file location.

You should also refer to Change installation folder for a Click Once App and What is the difference between the Publishing Folder location and the Installation Folder URL? See the reply from RobinDotNet. 

Sincerely,

Helen Zhou

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Helen Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:41 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by RobinDotNet Friday, December 17, 2010 9:07 AM
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:13 AM
  • Syrgien,

Is what you are saying that you provide your application to multiple customers, and you don't want to have to do different deployments for every customer just because their installation URL is different?

What you can do is exclude the deployment provider URL and just let your customers provide it to the users. There is a checkbox in the Options dialog in the Publish tab for the project properties.

When the user installs the application, it sets the deployment provider URL on his computer and retains it. It will always look there for upgrades after that. Basically, it gets it from wherever it installs it.

This isn't the most secure thing on the planet. A better idea is for the customer to use mage to set the deployment URL and re-sign the manifest (with his own certificate, thank you very much), and you could write a script for it. But frankly, if the deployment is on their internal intranet and NOT on the external internet, it's probably okay.

RobinDotNet

• Marked as answer by Sygrien Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:37 PM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi Syrgien

I have a similar problem to you and was wondering if you ever managed to find a proper solution.

I have a suite of applications hosted on an intranet.  Now I need to make these tools available externally to customers, but have to supply slightly different packages to each customer.

What I need to do for each customer is to provide a different Installation Folder URL and different version number for each customer.  MageUI will not let me access these settings but apparantly Mage will, but I haven't managed to fathom out the correct syntax to change the Installation Folder URL.

What I would really like is an example of how to do it.

I have the following

Every attempt so far has ended up with a "Error MSB3115: File 'https://my_server/my_tool/Application Files/my_tool_1_0_0_0' is not a valid entry point.

All help appreciated

Follow up

I managed to get the vsto file updated using mage -updated myinstall.vsto -appc 'https://my_server/my_tool/Application Files/my_tool_1_0_0_0/my_tool.manifest' without any errors, but when I run the setup.exe from the web server it still tries to download the vsto file from the original web address.

Where is the web address actually stored. it is not in the vsto file, so how does it know to look anywhere else apart from the location of the setup.exe?

Laurence

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:41 PM
  • First, you CAN use MageUI to change the installation URL. The installation url is called "Start Location" and it is in the Deployment Options tab.

Second, you need to change the url that the setup.exe points to; it is embedded in the setup.exe. Use a command window, and type in the command: setup.exe -? and it will show you the options.

To change the URL pointing to the deployment, use the -url option. here's an example.

setup.exe -url=http://myserver.com/myappfolder/myapp.application

RobinDotNet

• Marked as answer by RobinDotNet Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:44 PM
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Hi RobinDotNet

Thanks for your answer.  I had managed to get an installtion running from the vsto file but not the Setup.exe.

I tried your solution and now it runs from the Setup.exe as required.

Many Thanks

LaurenceB1

Laurence Bunnage Software Developer Iceni Mobile
    Monday, June 6, 2011 8:24 AM
  • Cool; glad it helped you!

RobinDotNet

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:44 PM