Apps in WM can be downloaded and installed from within another WM program? RRS feed

• Question

• In other words, can I write a WM app (app A) to download and install another WM app (app B); all under the control of the first app (app A)?
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:23 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You can run multiple CAB files from single CAB file by using setupdll.

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:03 AM
  • Hi Malleswar

Sorry, I do not quite understand you as I am pretty newbie.

My question was:
    Can I write Windows Mobile (WM) application and this application has the capability to download another WM app from the web, and install it on the mobile device.

Much like Windows MarketPlace but I am not sure whether Windows MarketPlace is exception using special APIs, etc.

Hope someone would shed some light into this..

Regards,
    Peter
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:08 AM
  • Yes. You can do it.

WM apps are usually packaged as CAB files. Your application can do the following:

1. Download CAB files from the web using InternetOpen, InternetReadFile APIs. Look into MSDN for more details.
    2. Once CAB file is downloaded, use wceload.exe to install it. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb158700.aspx .

- Onkar
    http://www.42gears.com
    [SureLock Studio: Quick and Easy way to lockdown Enterprise Windows Mobile devices]
    • Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:20 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:24 AM
  • Thanks, Onkar.

Few newbie questions:

1. Is wceload.exe always on a WM smartphone or pocketPC device?
    2. How do I know when the download is completed and can start wceload.exe?
    3. Where (location) is wceload.exe?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
    Peter
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:42 AM
  • 1. Yes. wceload.exe is present in all Windows Mobile devices (smartphones as well as pocketpc).
    2. wceload.exe is located in \windows folder on the device.
    3. See the InternetReadFile in MSDN to know how to determine the download completion.

- Onkar
    [SureLock Studio: Quick and Easy way to lockdown Enterprise Windows Mobile devices]
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Thanks, Onkar!

More questions:

1. If my WM app point to an online file, say, an image file, and the user clicks on this link, will it start a download of that file?
    2. Will the user be able to select which location the file is going to be saved?
    3. Can the app pre-determine the location to be saved?

Thanks!
    Peter
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 4:20 AM
  • Is your application a browser? If it is not, then the situation you mentioned will not arise. What happens after clicking on a link in your application depends entirely on you. On click, you can download the file contents in a buffer and then write this buffer into a file and save the file in any location.

- Onkar

Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Hey, thanks for all answers.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 2:52 AM
  • In other words, can I write a WM app (app A) to download and install another WM app (app B); all under the control of the first app (app A)?

Yes. You can ! :)

Using Windows Mobile application you can download different CAB File and installed it. here is you choice even you can silent install downloaded cab file using wcload.exe Tool.

If you want to install cab file as silent installation with auto run your application in this case you have to use setup dll.

1) Setup Dll Example

2) How to use WcLoad.exe Tool

Hope this may be help.
    If you find my post is helpful for you then mark as a answer.
    • Proposed as answer by WmDev Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:03 AM
    Monday, December 28, 2009 5:14 PM