none
Kinect for Windows v2 Data path through PC Hardware RRS feed

• Question

• What is the path the data of the Kinect takes once it enters the PC through the USB port? While working on a project, the FPS seen through the D2D sample program in the SDK Browser was greater for a PC with i5-5th gen Dual-Core(4 logical) with Nvidia GT920M (20 FPS), than for a PC with i5-7th gen Quad-Core(4 logical) with Nvidia GTX 1050(13 FPS).

I want to know exactly which hardware components in a PC are affecting its performance. What is the CPUs contribution, what is the GPUs contribution etc.

PS: Both PCs were running on Windows 10. No background apps. Same sample code of Depth Basics - D2D from SDK browser. Same Kinect Sensor. 

All help appreciated! :)

Thursday, September 28, 2017 4:16 AM

All replies

• depth data are being processed by the GPU. What you see is anomaly - even Intel integrated GPUs can keep constant 30fps for depth data frame processing.

Could you check the GPU frequency (if it is in 2d clocks or in what kind of state) while running the samples and / or try to update the GPU drivers. Simplest way "to force" higher frquency by running some 3d application (game) at the same time. 

• Edited by Jan Marcincin Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:20 PM typos
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:02 AM
  • Merely expanding on Jan's comment with extra info. I have no idea how it performs with various hardware.

It would be a good idea if there was also a sticky post with various bits and pieces of info that explains stuff. Much easier to understand why it works or doesn't in various situations.

CPU handles the processes and forwarding data around.

GPU handles processing of the IR frame to expand into Depth and Body tracking.

One more detail, Kinect tracks all people it can recognize by 3 points(I think shoulders and head) as potential candidates for full skeleton tracking. If someone from the already fully tracked bodies, goes out of fov, one of the potential candidates fills the spot. So the more people in fov , the heavier for the GPU. Can't speak as to what attribute of the GPU it affects though,but I'm angling towards texture related attributes based on some rigs we've tested on.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 10:36 AM