wmp cannot play all frames of avi file on vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an avi file, created by a c++ program, which can be played completely by using Windows Media Player on XP, but on Vista, WMP only plays roughly half of it then skips the rest without error message.

Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong on WMP on Vista? Any suggestion on trouble shooting or a work around?

Just FYI, the version of WMP I am using on XP and Vista are 11.0.5721.5260 and 11.0.6001.7000.

Thank you in advance.

Jason
    • Edited by tfs10 Monday, March 16, 2009 10:12 PM modified
    Monday, March 16, 2009 10:10 PM

All replies

• Something wrong with the codec installed on your system and/or the media samples in the file. Switch to with another codec or another avi file to see where is the problem.
    MSMVP VC++
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Thanks for reply.

I tried another avi file and it can be played without problem, but I am not sure if the problem is my avi file or the wmp on vista.

Regarding your suggestion about codec, I am using the wmp on vista, version 11.0.6001.7000, so all required codec should be copied to my pc when install wmp. What codec are you suggesting me to try? Could you let me know more details?

Thanks in advance. 
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:58 AM
  • AVI is a container format. That means that it holds audio and video which can be stored and compressed in a wide array of formats. You will need to find out what encoding is used on that video file. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Interleave

My idea: You can use VLC media player to re-encode a video file using different encodings. Then you could test each of those to find out which encodings windows media player will support. Then you could post here with a list of ones which work, which will help future devs.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:25 AM
  • Firstly, the compression I am using in the file is microsoft video 1, the dll is under the system32 folder on Vista. so the codec should be fine. Also, when I make the avi file, I even tried without using any compression, it has the same problem.

I also found out more details about this bug in my testing, when play the avi file in WMP on Vista, it doesn't play fine only on the last 2 secs, seems like WMP either play the last 2 secs too fast or just skip it. If I pause the play during the playback and move the slider to the right, I can view the last 2 seconds in the player, but it just doesn't show in the regular playback.

Also, the problem is not related to on which OS the avi is created, no matter on XP or Vista, the created avi from my code play fine on XP, but miss the last 2 secs on Vista.

Anyone has an idea where could be wrong on the WMP on Vista? Or is that possible a bug in my code that doesn't close the stream correctly? Does anyone know if there is a tool I can use to view the contents of an avi file, i.e., the frame raw data saved in the file? 

like I said, the problems in WMP on Vista is the frames are in the player, but the last frames are not played.

Thanks.

• Edited by tfs10 Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:06 PM modify
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Hi: Did you find any solution to this problem? I am experiencing the same issue on Win7.

Thanks

H

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:34 PM