opening excel file in .net RRS feed

• Question

• User-168748142 posted

I am using vb.net 2008 (.net 3.5) and am trying to open a excel file and then read the content from it. Currently I have hard-coded the directory of the file like "C:\imports\".

I want the user to be able to locate the file on the computer and automatically open it. I am not sure of how to open this directory without hard-coding this.

So far this is what I have which works :

Dim file_nm As String = FileUpload1.FileName
    Dim dir As String = "C:\imports"
    Dim connection As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" + "Data Source=""" + dir + "\"";" + "Extended Properties=""text;HDR=No;FMT=Delimited"""
    Dim query As String = "SELECT * FROM " + file_nm

but I want to dynamically just locate the file on the computer and open it. I dont want to hard-code the directory in my code.

Thank you all..

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:19 AM

All replies

• User1164098974 posted

You are trying to open a file from the client computer?  You cannot do this without the user selecting the file.  This is for security reasons.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:29 AM
  • User-168748142 posted

Thanks for your response. No, I let the user choose the file in the "Fileupload" control and then I will upload it to a folder "Imports" in my project location and then read it from there.

I want to know how to upload this file to a folder "Imports" which is inside my project.

this is what I am trying to do:

Dim loc_imports = Server.MapPath("\Excimp\Imports")

FileUpload1.SaveAs(file_loc) -->uploads to the server

then read the contents from the excel file.

Thanks,

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:38 AM
  • User1164098974 posted

So you want the path that the file is uploaded to on the server to be relative?  I don't believe you can do this.  I know in my applications, I have had to specify the complete file path on the server.  There may be a server configuration option that would allow you to use relative paths when saving, but I don't know it.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:23 AM