Add or edit problem of methods/events with WPF project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I'm developing a WPF application. Usually, in the designer I create my GUI and in the property window on the right side of VS 2012 I enter the name of functions or event handlers. Unfortunately, this wont work all the time for VS 2012 ! Quite often, the property window is disabled and I can only enter the functions in the XAML code. This way, the method stub is not inserted automatically.

Any hints or help ?

Greetings,
    Chris

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting on MSDN Forum.

I have checked my VS2012 ultimate, it doesn't disable the property window:

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Hi Mike,

it's not the complete window which is disabled. Usually, you can write a method name e.g. in "Click" event handler of a button in the property window. Pressing return results in adding the handler to the XAML and cs file.

This functionality sometimes is disabled. I'm not able to type in a method. A double click on the handler property in the property window creates a default named method stub.

I'm not sure what causes this behaviour ...

Any suggestions ?

Chris

Friday, September 7, 2012 9:34 AM
  • Hi Cpehonk,

When your application is running, it should be disabled.

Would you like to find out the exactly situation it is disabled?

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, September 7, 2012 9:43 AM
  • Hi Mike,

it's during development. I open the xaml file from solution explorer. All fine. The blend part of VS 2012 shows me the GUI and clicking on one of the controls opens / fills the property window on the right side. Sometimes, I cant change e.g. the title of the window directly in the property window. Or typing in method names like described before is disabled. The project itself is under source control (TFS 2012).

Unfortunately, I cant reproduce the situation any time. It is more like a sporadic error ...

Greetings,
    Chris

Friday, September 7, 2012 12:06 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Based on your description, it seems that VS is synchronizing the data with source control server.

When you find a reproduce steps, please feel free to follow up.

Best regards,

Mike Feng

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:43 AM
  • Hi Mike,

maybe I'm on the right track ...

VS 2012 seems not to check out the underlaying .cs file automatically. Thus, only the XAML file is checked out from source control. Now, the .cs file is still write protected. Seems to me that this leads to the disabled entries.

Unfortunately, it doesn't answer the question why I can't type in title etc. in the property window as well ...

Greetings,
    Chris

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:54 AM
  • Hi Chris,

>> why I can't type in title etc. in the property window as well 

The reason is "VS 2012 seems not to check out the underlaying .cs file automatically. Now, the .cs file is still write protected. Seems to me that this leads to the disabled entries." You have answered this question.

Best regards,

Mike Feng

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I'm not sure about properties which are stored in XAML only. If the write-protected underlaying .cs file is the reason, it should be automatically checked out.

Wasn't a problem ever under VS2010 ...
    Maybe it is worth giving the vs2012 guys a hint.

Greetings,
    Chris

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:36 AM
  • Hi Chris,

If you can provide the exactly steps to reproduce this issue, you can submit it here: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio 

And Microsoft will check it later.

Best regards,

Mike Feng

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:44 AM