none
preview dynamic web template in EW RRS feed

• Question

• An hour ago I could preview dwt files in EW with IE FF and Chrome. I then transfered some files and templates from another folder into my site folder (all of them locally, in my pc, not the server).

Now I can only preview dwt files in IE, while FF and Chrome ask me what they should do.

I've checked the Site settings dialog box and all settings are as always (Preview using MS Expression Development Server / for all web pages).

I think I had set the dwt extension as a text/html mime type, but I can't recall where this setting is to check it, and I'm not even sure if it matters at all...

Any thoughts?

Monday, April 18, 2011 5:41 PM

All replies

• Yes, you're not alone. That's the way it is. I cannot preview files with a dwt extension in anything except IE. That is the only browser that recognizes that extension and renders it. Like you, in any other browser I get a dialog asking whether I want to save or, if not, what program to open it with.

AFAIK, this is normal behavior. I have been using EW since v.2, now on v.4, and dwt files have never been viewable in anything other than IE. There really is no point in doing so, in any event. DWTs are not deployable, and are not meant to be deployed. They are design-time templates, not meant to be used remotely, and the only things that understand them are EW and Dreamweaver.

If you really want to view the blank DWT in a browser, the simple way to do it is to derive a page from it (right-click the DWT in the Folder List pane and select "New from Dynamic Web Template") and view that. If you don't add any content, what you will see is the blank page with headers, footer, etc., just as it would appear if you could view the DWT. I don't really know what the point would be, but it doesn't take long, so you could do it if you wished, then commence work on the actual page if you intend to actually use the DWT for its intended purpose.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 6:28 PM