Migrating SQL 2008 R2 to new Domain RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently in the process of moving SQL 2008 R2 server to a new domain. We currently have both the old and new domains on the network set up as trusted domains of each other.

We have used Quest tool to migrate all AD accounts to new domain (the tools preserve SID History).

The plan is to remove the SQL server from the current domain and then add the server to the new domain. Am I missing anything? or is it as simple as that or Is there any post migration steps I need to concern myself about?

Environment:

Single SQL 2008 R2 server with 3 instances installed on Windows 2008 SP2

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:34 AM

Answers

• If you are not moving to new hardware but just changing the existing servers domain membership then you can follow a different process. If you are changing the server hostname you will need to rename the instances to fix @@servername, just lookup renaming a SQL Server instance, of course you need to consider anything that is running under windows accounts using the old domain. The service account is an obvious one, then theres linked servers, agent proxy accounts etc. If you have trust setup you may be ok but it is probably ideal to have all accounts using the domain the server is currently a member of. Have a look at the following article I found for more info...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mdegre/archive/2011/06/27/can-i-move-sql-server-to-another-domain.aspx

...make sure you backup everything first and have a rollback plan especially if this is a production server.

Thanks

/Neil Moorthy - Senior SQL Server DBA/Developer (MCITP (2005/2008), MCAD, ITILv3, OCA 11g) Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You have Three Instances then treat as You have Three SQL Servers 

So You are Moving All SQL Servers to New Domain.I will try to provide in simple steps.

1.Take All User and System Databases Full backup of existing Instances.

2.Verify The patch level of each Instance 

3.Install New Instances in New Domain Windows machines

4.Apply the patch for New SQL Instances  same as Old SQL Instances.(This is IMP)

5.Restore All User Databases and System Databases (from First step) into respective New Instances.

While Restoring Msdb stop SQL Agent and for master start SQL service in single user mode.

After Successful Restore, Restart SQL servicse for all new Instances,You are done ..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175535(v=SQL.100).aspx

Sivaprasad.L Together We can Achieve
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:21 AM
  • If you are not moving to new hardware but just changing the existing servers domain membership then you can follow a different process. If you are changing the server hostname you will need to rename the instances to fix @@servername, just lookup renaming a SQL Server instance, of course you need to consider anything that is running under windows accounts using the old domain. The service account is an obvious one, then theres linked servers, agent proxy accounts etc. If you have trust setup you may be ok but it is probably ideal to have all accounts using the domain the server is currently a member of. Have a look at the following article I found for more info...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mdegre/archive/2011/06/27/can-i-move-sql-server-to-another-domain.aspx

...make sure you backup everything first and have a rollback plan especially if this is a production server.

Thanks

/Neil Moorthy - Senior SQL Server DBA/Developer (MCITP (2005/2008), MCAD, ITILv3, OCA 11g) Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:04 AM