STUnion of Polygon results in some LINESTRING in the GEOMETRYCOLLECTION RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a table of county boundaries that are stored in geometry datatype.  The county boundaries were populated from WKT which wasn't valid at first, but I did run MakeValid() on them.  Now I am trying to STUnion all of the county boundaries together putting them into an empty GEOMETRYCOLLECTION variable.  After they are all unioned and I view the resulting value, it has lines within it in some spots where I did not expect it.  Further, if I conver the resulting value back to WKT it is a GEOMETRYCOLLECTION that has LINESTRINGS in it.  I was expecting a single large POLYGON.  Can anyone help explain this occurace, and what I might do to get the result to just be an outline POLYGON with out the LINESTRINGS.

Thanks ahead of time,

Derek

derek
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Check this post:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlspatial/thread/2bc4c130-4312-48a1-bc5a-a07d193edf29

Quick solution: update your registries to fix the ring orientation (geom = geom.STUnion(geom.STPointN(1)))

Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:57 AM
  • Thanks it appears that there is to be a cummulative update to fix this.  When I checked our version of SQL server it is: 10.50.1600.1 RTM Standard Edition (64-bit)

Does anyone know if that is the latest/

Thanks again,

derek
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:07 PM
  • We are still having this issue and we are running the latest version of SQL Spatial.  Has anyone come across of the issue or possible know of a solution.  Essentially the problems comes from the STUnion of geometry items and when we convert it back to WKT. 

Thanks,

Derek

derek
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Try buffering your polygons ever so slightly (i.e. STBuffer(0.00001)) prior to performing the union, which will expand them to fill in the gaps.
    Beginning Spatial with SQL Server http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430218290
    Friday, August 6, 2010 6:58 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Alastair.  I did end up using the STBuffer but not on the same line as the STUnion.  It seems that when I did use the two together it was quite slow for our application.  Here is the algorithm that I came up with for handeling slivers that come back from STUnion.  If you get a chance to let me know if this a good approach.  We are essentially using STUnion only with census unit polygons.  However, as discussed the STUnion function produces slivers due to low precision .

With returned WKT Value from STUnion()

CASE MultiPolygon

Loop through all polygons

If polygon(n) has interior rings

Loop through all interior rings

Check the size/remove sliver

End Loop

End Loop

CASE Polygon

If polygon(n) has interior rings

End Loop

CASE GeometryCollection

Loop through all geometry objects

If  geometry collection object(n) is polygon

If polygon has interior rings

End Loop

If  geometry collection object(n) is linestring

Check start and endpoint with buffer and overlap

If they overlap à assume this is polygon that was lost in the STUnion()

Else remove the linestring as it is a sliver

End Loop

derek
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:57 PM