Which Application Tier sends email notifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have two application tiers in our TFS Setup, one has access to our SMTP server, the other does not.

How do I set the one which has SMTP server access to send email notifications? When Im connected to that application tier and send a email manually, it all works fine, but when I need it to automically send an email by using the Alerts, the other application tier attempts to send it and it recieves a error in event log saying it could not contact the SMTP server...

Is there a way I can make the Application Tier with SMTP access the primary for email notifications/alerts, and disable the other ones ability to send emails at all?

I really need both application tiers running and only one can have access to the SMTP server.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:26 AM

All replies

• Just noticed that sometimes the one which has access to the smtp server sends the alert email notifications and sometimes the other one will attempt to any help one this?

Now it seems to be attempting to send using the app tier without access, failing, and then sending using the other app tier which has access however up to an hour after the first app tier attempted and failed to send the notifications... is this normal behaviour of the jobagents?

If what im after is not possible with tfs alone, is there another application or plug in i can use along side the application tier to make it forward the alerts to be sent using the other application tier? or maybe delay the job agents on non smtp accessible application tier so the other application tier gets the request to send the alert first?

• Edited by gloomy99 Monday, September 19, 2011 6:33 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:15 AM