EW4 Ultimate & Windows 7 - Copy to Clipboard Very Slow and driving me crazy RRS feed

• Question

• Hey!

I really like ew. But if i use ctrl+c or "rightclick -> copy" EW4 hangs for a few seconds. This is killing my workflow!

I really don't have memory problems. Normaly between 3-5 GB Free Memory Space (6GB total). The Computer is running on 3GHz.

The lag is not depending on the size of the copied Text. Even if i copy just one sign EW4 hangs for about 10sec.

No other App is affected by the lag. I can use every other window while EW is hanging.

I really hope somebody can help me. Don't want to use Dreamweaver just because of this little timekiller!

greatz

Melodylion

Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:12 PM

All replies

• First off, a few seconds does not amount to killing your workflow. Let's drop the hyperbole and keep perspective. And don't threaten us with that old I'm going to Dreamweaver wheeze. There are plenty of people here who use both. Go ahead and use it if you want; we don't care.

Secondly: Did you read the Forum FAQ? There are troubleshooting links in there, and I'd start with FPCleaner links for EW4 and see if that helps. It often does.

This is not a problem I have seen mentioned in here before. But you've given us virtually nothing solid to go on. I have no idea what you mean by copying a sign. Sign means nothing in this context. What kind of pages (HTML?, PHP?, ASPX?). Are you working on a local copy of the site or live on a server? Does it happen on the style sheet as well? What OS? Does it happen on all the sites you work on or just one? Give us details that are meaningful.

How about a link to the site or the page that's acting up, as it asks in the Forum FAQ? We really are flying blind, since your post had virtually no details.

The bird, the bee, the running child are all the same to the sliding glass door. Dimitri Martin

Sunday, June 26, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Bill, sorry to disagree OM but I side with the OP's killing progress theme. Copy and Paste is a critical part of my activities and waiting 10 seconds each time would definitely have me looking for a different tool. Also, I'm sure this is not a site specific matter so getting the url to the guys site ain't going to help.

Having said that, I haven't seen that problem with EW before either. Nevertheless EW does seems to have a multitude of ways to go out on strike and not let you know what it is doing.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:49 PM
  • My guess is that she's working live on the server, and that's where the delay is coming from. And that's why other apps run fine in the meantime. But I also pointed her to FPCleaner, which may help, although I haven't heard of this symptom being cured by it.

No matter whether it's site-specific or not (I'm not sure it's not), we have no kowledge of anything she's done or how she works, and it may be that what she's doing (besides copying signs) is the cause of the problem, so it might be good to see the site. No harm, right?

I'd grant that it would kill productivity if your job was cutting an pasting full-time, but killing is just hyperbole. I don't copy and paste within a site that often. Copy outside and paste into EW? Yup. But within? Not so much. The delay would be an annoyance, yes, but ratchet down the sob-sister act already and drop the veiled threats.

The bird, the bee, the running child are all the same to the sliding glass door. Dimitri Martin
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Aw, what the hey. If she wants to blow four hundred bucks on Dreamweaver, only to learn that it's still got bugs that go all the way back to the MX version, I say, "Fine, let her do it." Then she can go join the ADW group and threaten to go back to EW, forming her own little infinite recursion. Who knows, at that point she may have managed to kill her productivity in actual fact  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Well aren't you two a couple of grumpy bears.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:58 PM
  • Oh, no. Don't get me started on bears. You know how I can be.

Bears and apostrophes and semicolons and.......

Monday, June 27, 2011 12:24 AM
  • You and Steven Colbert.

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:34 AM
  • When I read this thread earlier, it was a good reminder that it was bear time.

... Where I live, I have to take the bird feeders in every night at dusk or they become a black bear feeding station.   :)

Monday, June 27, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Hmm, haven't seen any bears close this year but summer before last one went in through a townie's doggy door. Sat on the floor of the laundry room and pigged out on the german shepherd's bag of dog food.

Our bird feeders seem to be safe but don't leave a trash can out. You not only have a mess to clean but face fines if they are out before 7 or after 7.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Monday, June 27, 2011 4:01 AM
  • Well aren't you two a couple of grumpy bears.

W-e-e-e-l-l-l-l, after three years and a few months now, it has really, really, really grown tiresome hearing that bloody, "You better help me with this or I'll switch to Dreamweaver" rubbish again, and again, and again, as if we gave a rat's patoot which development environment they use.

If they bothered to do what they are supposed to do, and read the FAQs before posting, they would know that we are not Microsoft employees or representatives, and that threatening us with switching to a competing product is pointless. But they don't read them, and they do threaten, for the thousandth or so time, and all they accomplish is to disincline anyone to want to assist them. In short, all they accomplish is to just piss us off and make us grumpy bears.

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 4:22 AM