The Coding Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I am asked to create a Coding Standard for my client.  What kinds of software tools should I use?  (and What should I do and what I shouldn't do for doing this kind of "task"?)

Please help and advice 

Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:23 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you're talking about coding conventions, then a good place to start would be these links:

However, I would assume that you are talking about more than "just" conventions, and that you want your code to provide a consistent quality. For that, I'd recommend using tools such as FxCop and coding-assistance tools such as reshrper . Finally, to ensure the code your team is producing is indeed as per the standard you're creating, you should be using QA practices such as peer review and gated check-in (in TFS 2010 ).

As you may have noticed, I'm giving you recommendation from the light to the heavy: from code conventions, through tools and finally some methodology-specific practices (in this case, agile). This is no coincidence as the goal of all methodologies is to ultimately provide a consistent high quality outcome. So although you are welcome to use any of the standards and tools you dim appropriate, I think you should first define your development methodology and then choose the practices that are in alignment to that methodology.

As an example of a widely used methodology, you could start by reading the Agile methodology and its materialisation in TFS 2010:

Hope this helps.

Fernando Felman
    Solution Architect
    Unique World

You're welcome to visit My blog .

If your question was answered, please don't forget to mark it so.

• Proposed as answer by Fernando Felman Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:30 AM
    • Edited by Fernando Felman Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:51 PM repaired broken links
    • Marked as answer by iHandler Monday, February 14, 2011 7:30 AM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:23 AM
  • Come on dudes , their is no meaning in coding standard , unless the software product that you create meets the expectations of your software client. Just understand this simple fact .
    PHIJO MP
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:39 PM
  • What do mean by saying that "their is no meaning in coding standard"? Do you reckon a team of developers shouldn't be sharing a standard set of conventions and standards?

Fernando Felman
    Solution Architect
    Unique World

You're welcome to visit My blog .

If your question was answered, please don't forget to mark it so.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Thanks Fernando Felman, appreciate for your info, a great help !
    Monday, February 14, 2011 7:30 AM