Understanding the integration of InfoPath and SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• In an attempt to move to an "online" registration for our technical school, I have been looking at in house applications that would allow me to create a form, post it on our website and then have it submitted back to us.  Optimum would be to have the populated form available as we need a workflow for approvals and then have a data file as well.

I created a form and am ready to move forward but honestly I am now lost.  No one I talk to can explain to me how to proceed from here.  I have even called Microsoft Support.  Our school system DOES have SharePoint, however, we don't have access as of yet at our local school.  They have asked that my principal request access.  I would like to have a good explanation of how this will all work before I ask him to get the needed permissions.

Bottom line, I have a form created.  I need to publish it on our website for users.  It needs to be submitted to us still as a form so that we can use it in an approval workflow process (rather than a data file such as in Access) although we need this as well.

Should I be headed in a completely different direction (i.e., use another form designer)? HELP! We were hoping to have this available by the end of January.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Lisa

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:49 PM

Answers

• You can create a form using InfoPath and publish that to a SharePoint form library. All end users will see an HTML form rendered by SharePoint and therefore don't need to have InfoPath installed on their machines, all they need is a browser. This only works if you can meet the following requirements:

- You have SharePoint Enterprise edition (otherwise you don't have Forms Services which is responsible for translating your InfoPath form to HTML)

- SharePoint Forms services is enabled on your SharePoint farm.

Kind regards,
    Margriet Bruggeman

Lois & Clark IT Services
    web site: http://www.loisandclark.eu
    blog: http://www.sharepointdragons.com

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:33 PM