none
Inter Process Communication RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to IPC and looking for a 2-way asynchronous communication between an MFC Server & MFC Client or MFC Server and NET Client, client server may or may not be on the same PC but both will be either Windows 7 or Vista. I know there are lots of options but are sockets a safe bet? Could someone point me in a few current directions.
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:17 PM

Answers

• I would probably lean towards sockets myself, but DCOM might be viable if there is no firewall between the two PCs.
    • Marked as answer by Dalai Monday, June 25, 2012 11:51 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:44 PM

All replies

• I would probably lean towards sockets myself, but DCOM might be viable if there is no firewall between the two PCs.
    • Marked as answer by Dalai Monday, June 25, 2012 11:51 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:44 PM
  • DCOM would be my preference, but I'm reluctant to recommend it unless you have some DCOM programming experience. There is a fairly substantial learning curve.
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:21 PM
  • Broadly speaking, sockets will give you a lot of flexibility and things can be made to work, but they will require more effort.

It very much depends on what you're trying to do and what communication and security requirements you have.

• How is authentication going to be handled? Through a Windows domain, will the server handle that by itself?
    • Are the machines installed in a trusted environment or are they expected to communicate through the internet? Do they have to talk through corporate firewalls and gateways? In that case, something like HTTP or HTTPS might work better because they'd require less set up.

• Proposed as answer by Wyck Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:26 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:40 PM
  • ok thanks. I think initially this be either one machine or two on a LAN. so pretty strightfwd. I seem to remember that if I send lots of messages then they may not arrive in the same sequence. Do I have this right?
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:46 PM
  • No. When using a stream socket TCP/IP guarantees that the messages will arrive in the same sequence they were sent.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:18 PM