none
DEVPATH on Target Machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I searched DEVPATH topics under CLR category and did not found anything related to my question. Is it SAFE or ADVISEABLE to use DEVPATH on the target machine (deployment machine)? It seems to be working fine right now but this article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cskzh7h6.aspx mentioned it should be used during development.

We only have one version for each of our assemblies and each application using those assemblies should use what ever the version that is in the DEVPATH folder. So the idea is, we have one folder that contains all our shared assemblies and the folder will be defined on the DEVPATH environment variable. So when CLR probe for assemblies, our assemblies will be loaded from our DEVPATH folder. The folder is outside the application domain. Also, as much as possible we don't want to touch each application config file.

We are using .NET Framework 4.0 and Windows Server 2008.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:30 PM

Answers

•  

> Is it SAFE or ADVISEABLE to use DEVPATH on the target machine

In my opinion, it just provide another choice for us to deploy our application, the judgment depends on "Will your assemblies be accessed by multiple applications after deployed?":

If not, you can simply put all assemblies in a sub-folder of the application, and use the <probing> element to tell CLR where to find those assemblies.

If yes, There are two choices (I prefer to select the first one):

1) Assign your assemblies with strong name, put the into GAC.

2) Or, use DEVPATH environment variable; for this mode, the runtime does not check the versions on strong-named assemblies found in the DEVPATH. It simply uses the first assembly it finds.

Eric Yang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by eryang Monday, February 14, 2011 8:04 AM
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 3:27 AM