The program '[6212] devenv.exe: Managed (v4.0.30319)' has exited with code -1073740791 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm writing an add-in to visual studio 2010 which was ported from visual studio 2008,

if I'm running it in the expirmental build without debug everything is running smoothly.

but in debug mode It just exits after I'm trying to debug in the experimental build (my add-in operates in debug mode..)

it does manage to run some code of mine (initialization code) before exiting, but it seems that it does not send an exception from it.

the last output lines I get are:

Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.CreateToolWindow'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.FindToolWindow'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsToolWindowFactory.CreateToolWindow'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ConstructContent'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.EnsureContentConstructed'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.PreloadOnScreenContent'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.FrameView.set'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowManagerService.viewManager_WindowProfileChanging'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.ExtensionMethods.RaiseEvent<System.__Canon>'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.Shell.ViewManager.WindowProfile.set'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowManagerService.LoadFrameLayout.AnonymousMethod__41'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ErrorHandler.CallWithCOMConvention'
    Step into: Stepping over method without symbols 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowManagerService.LoadFrameLayoutBeforeContextChange'
    The program '[6212] devenv.exe: Program Trace' has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    The program '[6212] devenv.exe: Managed (v4.0.30319)' has exited with code -1073740791 (0xc0000409).

please note that on visual studio 2008 it worked fine, and it might has some connection to the fact I've ported it from there...

can you please tell me what the error code means?

I'll be happy to share more information that you need in order to solve this issue, as I cannot debug my add in...

Tnx, Nitzan

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:47 AM

Answers

• Try enabling both managed and native debugging, turning off 'Enable Just My Code' and setting VS to break on first chance for managed and native exceptions.  The last one you see before the process exits would be the culprit.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by Ego Jiang Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:01 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:27 PM