no option to import psd files to expression blend RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying expression blend (first time) and i want to import a psd (photoshop)files but i dont see any option for that...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee341459(v=expression.30).aspx

I don't have photoshop installed to my pc and i am running windows 10. Is there something that i need to do?

• Moved by Reed KimbleMVP Friday, April 1, 2016 1:07 AM Blend question
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:34 PM

Answers

• From what I have found, this feature was removed from VS 2015. If you want to use it, you will have to revert to VS 2013, which still included those import functions. Unless you need something which was added in VS 2015 but does not exist in VS 2013, moving shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, just as it is possible to open and work with the same site in VS and in Expression Web, you should be able to edit the same XAML file in both VS 2015 and Expression Blend 4, which also has this Import feature. Give that a try. Download and install EB4, then open the XAML file you created in VS in EB, then do your import, then go back to VS and reload the file (actually, VS should tell you the file has been modified, and offer to reload it).

So, your options are, (1) start using VS2013 (many who need this capability have done so), or (2) use VS 2015 in conjunction with EB4, or (3) decide you don't need this capability after all. Pick one.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by antonisq Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:52 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 9:38 PM

All replies

• I suspect that you are not creating a new (or opening an existing) project or item (xaml file) before attempting to import the graphic file. Note this line from the referenced page:

"1. Open the .xaml document into which you want to import the file."

Unless you open or create a project file, there is nothing to import the image into. Use "File|New Item..." or "File|New Project..." to create a xaml file. Then you will see the option to "Import Adobe Photoshop File" under the File menu.

BTW, do you actually know what you're trying to do? Blend is used to create Silverlight/Web or WPF applications, with or without Sketchflow (not part of the free version). Do you know how to read/write XAML? Are you aware that even MS has given up on Silverlight, and that very few browsers are likely to have the Silverlight plugin installed? What is your actual objective? If it's just a Web site, you would be much better served using Expression Web 4. Just sayin'...  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Friday, April 1, 2016 11:00 PM
    Friday, April 1, 2016 10:36 PM
  • Thank you for your reply...i thought that no one will answer...

Actually i was came upon blend when i was looking for a better design for my vb.net forms , for better look...i hope that i am not getting this wrong , but is it possible to do that with blend for vb.net projects? Or i am in the wrong path? If i am i will glad to know before get in to much trouble. I din't know that about silverlight and even i was not going to use it  , it is useful tip...

But if this is the case (mean to create better look) i still don't see any option to import a psd file , even if i create a new (wpf project)...It seems that you are the best person to help...

Sunday, April 3, 2016 11:05 PM
  • ???

Are you using the Blend which comes with VS 2013+ or the standalone Expression Blend 4? I am using the latter, and this is what I see:

You must first have a XAML file open in the UI (red arrow). Then click "File" (yellow arrow), and when the menu drops down, click "Import Adobe Photoshop File" (blue arrow). That's the way it works in Expression Blend 4 for me. What are you seeing?

cheers,
    scott

Monday, April 4, 2016 8:27 PM
  • Thank you for your reply...I am using blend for visual studio 2015 and this is the menu i have...if it something that it is not supported in 2015 version i will glad to go back to different version...

• Edited by antonisq Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:36 PM spell error
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:34 PM
  • From what I have found, this feature was removed from VS 2015. If you want to use it, you will have to revert to VS 2013, which still included those import functions. Unless you need something which was added in VS 2015 but does not exist in VS 2013, moving shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, just as it is possible to open and work with the same site in VS and in Expression Web, you should be able to edit the same XAML file in both VS 2015 and Expression Blend 4, which also has this Import feature. Give that a try. Download and install EB4, then open the XAML file you created in VS in EB, then do your import, then go back to VS and reload the file (actually, VS should tell you the file has been modified, and offer to reload it).

So, your options are, (1) start using VS2013 (many who need this capability have done so), or (2) use VS 2015 in conjunction with EB4, or (3) decide you don't need this capability after all. Pick one.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

• Marked as answer by antonisq Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:52 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 9:38 PM
  • Thank you for your reply...it is shame that this future does not exist in 2015...but i will follow your advice and i think i will be ok...thank you once more :-) 
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:55 AM