Creating your own icon RRS feed

• Question

• I used the VS2005 icon editor to replace the MFC icon with an icon for my app, that shows up when I see the large icon (programs list), however when it's a little icon (file explorer) it's still the MFC icon. How do I change the little Icon to match my big icon?
    Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:10 PM

Answers

• when you're in editor you get a new menu 'Image'
    click Image, New Image Type and select the new format you need

;)

Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:50 AM
  • thank you crino. While not exactly what I was looking for that helped me find it.

For future reference for anybody who finds this thread
    Bring up the icon editor on your file
    right click in the side window where the thumbnail of the icon is (not on the image though)
    On the resulting menu bring up the "Current Icon Image Types" sub menu
    there are all the icons currently in this file, if the one you need isn't there (32x32 16777216 colors seams to be the one for the large icon, 16x16 167216 colors for the small) you can click New image type to add it.
    Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:18 PM

All replies

• no replies? Do you not understand? Is it not possible? (unlikely) Please tell me what information you need me to clairfy to solve this issue?
    Wednesday, November 15, 2006 9:01 PM
  • True icon files contain the same image inn several sizes. I think the editor in VS is a simple bitmap editor. You need an actual icon editor like IconWorkshop. They are cheap.
    Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:59 PM
  • when you're in editor you get a new menu 'Image'
    click Image, New Image Type and select the new format you need

;)

Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:50 AM
  • thank you crino. While not exactly what I was looking for that helped me find it.

For future reference for anybody who finds this thread
    Bring up the icon editor on your file
    right click in the side window where the thumbnail of the icon is (not on the image though)
    On the resulting menu bring up the "Current Icon Image Types" sub menu
    there are all the icons currently in this file, if the one you need isn't there (32x32 16777216 colors seams to be the one for the large icon, 16x16 167216 colors for the small) you can click New image type to add it.
    Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:18 PM
  • sorry for the flooding

oh ya, windows has a tendency to buffer these icons, you may need to rename your exe to see your change.
    Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:20 PM