Hardward for Stepper Motors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am just tarting into my new adventure of robotics.  I am planning to build a robot that will have five axises.  The will be fairly large stepper motors.  I need to know what is the best hardware to uses for stepper motor drivers.
    Also, I have read other tutorials about stepper motors that refere to tutorial6.  I can't find tutorial6 anywhere.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:41 AM

Answers

• I can't recommend any particular hardware, but I know that Phidgets have a stepper motor controller board.

Are you referring to Robotics Tutorial 6? (There are also Service and Hosting Tutorials).

Trevor
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:57 PM

All replies

• I can't recommend any particular hardware, but I know that Phidgets have a stepper motor controller board.

Are you referring to Robotics Tutorial 6? (There are also Service and Hosting Tutorials).

Trevor
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:57 PM
  • Phidgets like most other hardware providers have "Surprisingly" stop supporting MSRS.  I have also learned that there is no "In the Box" solution for step and direction for MSRS. 
    Step and Direct is the easiest way to control a stepper motor.  Move this many steps in that direction at that speed, and your done.  MSRS has completely missed the boat here for commericial robotic applicatins.  
    Build step and direction support and you will open a whole new world for your product.  Use Mach3 for as an example.  Hobbiest to industrial applications have been built on this platform (Mach).
    Finding hardware is no problem, getting support also no problem, and guess what, finding real world examples, again, no problem.

Thanks for your response
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:28 AM