none
Word 2016 files with VBA code crash when opened on Win Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have some Word files (.docm) which will crash Word if opened with macros enabled.  If they are opened with macros disabled, the file will open.  If I then enable macros, it will also crash.  If I open the files with macros disabled, then enter the code editor and make any change at all, such as adding a space character, then deleting it, so no actual change has even been made to the code, I can then enable the content and the file will open and run normally.

Does anyone have any idea why this happens and what I can do to prevent it?

Thanks

Friday, February 2, 2018 7:09 PM

Answers

• This Technet post related to Excel resolved this issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/2d321d63-a91a-470b-b28d-3c037ca3008d/macroenabled-excel-spreadsheet-crashes-after-tuesday-182013-updates

I needed to re-register mscomctl.ocx to resolve this issue.  Interesting that the code will run with the control unregistered just by making a simple edit to the code, then enabling it.

• Marked as answer by -'Dave'- Monday, February 5, 2018 9:27 PM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, macro in Word files causes the issue.
    If this is correct, you need to provide VBA code in Word files or share a Word file via cloud storage such as OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

P.S.
    Doesn't  the issue occur in Windows client (not in Windows Server).
    • Edited by Ashidacchi Saturday, February 3, 2018 3:06 AM
    Saturday, February 3, 2018 3:04 AM
  • Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Word features, I'll move your question to the MSDN forum for Word Developer:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=worddev

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 5, 2018 2:36 AM
  • Yes, the issue occurs on a client (remote connection) to Windows server 2016.

See below as I have resolved this issue.

Monday, February 5, 2018 9:22 PM
  • This Technet post related to Excel resolved this issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/2d321d63-a91a-470b-b28d-3c037ca3008d/macroenabled-excel-spreadsheet-crashes-after-tuesday-182013-updates

I needed to re-register mscomctl.ocx to resolve this issue.  Interesting that the code will run with the control unregistered just by making a simple edit to the code, then enabling it.

• Marked as answer by -'Dave'- Monday, February 5, 2018 9:27 PM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 9:27 PM