Expression Encoder not supporting .mov? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm very new to Expression Encoder. I have an application where the user will upload movie files and I need to change those to .wmv format. I was able to change .avi and .mp4. But when code as follow, I get "File not supported" error.

MediaItem mediaItem;

mediaItem = new MediaItem(@"C:\samples\myMovie.mov");

I found that I can use QuickTime player to work with this. But I really have no idea where to start.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:18 PM

Answers

• FYI - I just verified that the newest QT works fine, though you might have to reboot after the QT upgrade to make it work in the application.
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:59 PM

All replies

• If QT is installed, we can use it to import MOV files. Makes sure to read the FAQ entry on this subject.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. I've installed the QuickTime player. However, the code below still giving me error.

mediaItem = new MediaItem(@"C:\samples\myMovie.mov");

I've added the QuickTime player in the system variables as stated in the FAQ. But I'm still not able to create a Expression.Encoder.MediaItem with ".mov" files. I also tried referencing the QT dlls.

Please suggest me what I am missing. Thank you very much.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:06 AM
  • Which version of QT do you have installed?

Where is that MOV file coming from?

Have you tried other MOV files? Like some that are available on their site?

Did you try to disable all other 3rd party codecs in the Tools->Options->Compatibility dialog, like the FAQ suggests?

Would it be possible to share this MOV file with us for us to try to reproduce your problem in house? (if so, please send sharing information to ericjut @ hotmail.com).

Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Sorry about my late reply. Was away for whole day.
    I've installed QuickTime player 7 and used the "sample_iTunes.mov" that I downloaded from QuickTime website. Please let me know what codes I'm missing to make it work. Thank you very much for your kind help.

I've sent the email to your "ericjut@hotmail.com ".

Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:42 AM
  • Thank you for the information.

I actually need the exact version of QT that you have installed (it makes a difference).

Also, have you tried to disable all the codecs in the compatibility page (other than Apple's and Microsoft's)? I can't give you a list of the ones you need to disable because it depends on the 3rd party codecs you have installed on your PC.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 9:51 AM
  • FYI - I just verified that the newest QT works fine, though you might have to reboot after the QT upgrade to make it work in the application.
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:59 PM