visualizers stopped working in VS 2013 debugger RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using QT (a C++ GUI toolkit) and have the following problem. QT provides visualizers to help debug its classes. However every once in a while the debug information is gone and a simple enum value is shown in the debugger. Something like:

In the autos window: 

• Name: eventID, Value: QString (10), type: QString
    • Name: jobList, Value: QStringList (11), type: QStringList

All standard types (enums, doubles, integers...) are readable.

Some facts:

• My solution consists of several projects; each project results in a DLL; the DLLs are loaded by a main.
    • A rebuild does not solve the problem,
    • A build does not solve the problem,
    • A clean does not solve the problem
    • In the same call stack (during the same debug session) the visualizer works in other projects, but not in all
    • All developers in my company have the same problem

I have tried this post. The visualizers there seem to have stopped working altogether and not for a short period of time.

Thanks in advance,

ms-kootje

Friday, February 26, 2016 9:29 AM

All replies

• This may because the text format like QString. In visualizer, only the standard text, HTML, XML, and JSON visualizers are supported. Custom (user-created) visualizers are not supported. Here is a blog about writing debugger type visualizers. Hope that can help.
    • Edited by Baron Bi Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:21 AM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:19 AM
  • Hi,

I have a proper visualizer for QString (provided by the people who have build the SDK). But it does not work all the time. While debugging my program it works for one DLL but not the other. And vice versa. I assume that something is wrong with my project output, but i am not sure. If it was a global problem then none of my DLLs could have been debugged properly regarding QString.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 11:39 AM
  • Also the autos window and the magnifier glass in the text editor do not work for booleans and other basic types (doubles, integers,...) when this occurs. The locals window does show the information but the visualizer for QString does not work there as well.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Sorry for long time waiting.

According to your description, you are using a visualizer developed by some powerful guy. So can you provide some information about his code or algorithm? Is there some document? I just don't know how does it works.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 6:06 AM
  • My point is that the visualizer works, but not all the time.

C++ Example: I have a GUI module, a logic module and a database module. Stepping through the code, after a mouse click in my GUI, I notice that the visualizer works for the classes in the GUI  and the database module but not for the logic module. Rebuilding the logic module does not help. But here is the really strange thing: sometimes the visualizer works for all modules and I can see debug information in autos window and the magnifying glass in the editor during debugging.

For more information on the toolkit, see http://www.qt.io/

The concept of visualizers in visual studio: see https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2015/09/28/debug-visualizers-in-visual-c-2015/

• Edited by ms-kootje Thursday, March 10, 2016 4:03 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2016 4:00 PM