asp.net 2010 web deployment RRS feed

• Question

• User-1997257017 posted

In a small company, I am making small changes to a vb.net web forms 2010 application. There are no pervious directions on how to set up the deployment of the application.

I have used the old version of deployment using msi packages that are not supported after asp.net 2010.

I have not used web deployment yet. I set attached to this application that there is a web deployment project that was used.

Thus can you give me directions and/or point me to a url that will tell me how to setup a web deployment project that can be installed on an IIS server.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:39 AM

Answers

• User-760709272 posted

Deploying a website is an "xcopy deployment", meaning you simply copy the files you want into the webspace.  Publish the site to a folder on your local machine via a file publish and that will give you all the files you need to deploy, so copy them to the desired folder for your site.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:14 AM
  • User-760709272 posted

It will vary depending on your version of VisualStudio, but in the solution explorer right-click your web project and select "Publish".  If it asks you to select or create a profile, create a new one called "Local publish".  Next for the method select "File System" and enter the path to a folder on your local machine where the site will be published to.  Next select the publish options you want such as if you want to delete exisiting files etc, then publish.  All the files you need to upload to your site are in the folder you specified so upload them using FTP or whatever method your webhost supports.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:34 AM

All replies

• User-760709272 posted

Deploying a website is an "xcopy deployment", meaning you simply copy the files you want into the webspace.  Publish the site to a folder on your local machine via a file publish and that will give you all the files you need to deploy, so copy them to the desired folder for your site.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:14 AM
  • User-1997257017 posted

Can you give me more explicit directions since this is my first web deployment?

From your statements listed above can you tell me what the following means and how to accomplish this task?

1. Publish the site to a folder

2. xcopy deployment

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:25 PM
  • User-760709272 posted

It will vary depending on your version of VisualStudio, but in the solution explorer right-click your web project and select "Publish".  If it asks you to select or create a profile, create a new one called "Local publish".  Next for the method select "File System" and enter the path to a folder on your local machine where the site will be published to.  Next select the publish options you want such as if you want to delete exisiting files etc, then publish.  All the files you need to upload to your site are in the folder you specified so upload them using FTP or whatever method your webhost supports.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:34 AM
  • User1515103279 posted

If you need more flexibility on deployment, you can go with web deploy method. For more details, visit http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd465323(v=vs.110).aspx

Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:49 AM