none
VS 2015 Update 3 crashes when the intellisence/suggestions dropdown is shown in the C# editor

Question

• Since I recently installed VS 2015 Update 3 the application keeps crashing very often when the intellisence/suggestions drop down is shown in the C# editor. Occasionally it doesn't and occasionally it only freezes for a long time, then works again. But it crashes more often than not.

I've especially noticed this when editing XML documentation tags, but also in the C# code per se.

Unfortunately I also updated a bunch of extensions at the same time as Update 3 (one never learn). Guess next step is to rule them out one by one before blaming VS  :(

I've already tried to disable Developer Assistant, as it was the first item shown in the drop down. Didn't help.

FYI I've also installed this KB-update:

Someone else experiencing this? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Monday, August 8, 2016 9:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have installed the KB3165756 in my Visual Studio 2015 update3 and I have not encountered your issue before.

Please restart your machine, close other third party programs and run your Visual Studio as Administrator.

Reset the settings of your Visual Studio to check whether it helps(Tools->Import and Export Settings->Reset all settings)

Also try to run your Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it (devenv /safemode)

If above suggestion still no help. Try to did a repair of your Visual Studio 2015.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 2:45 AM