move PopupControlExtender to mouse click location RRS feed

• Question

• User-1225015118 posted

Hi there,

I am building a Tool Tip user control that contains an image and a PopupControlExtender. Typically it'll be added to a text box and will provide tool tip information. I have it working but it isn't efficient when it's added to a repeater because one gets added for each row in the repeater (with associated javascript). The more rows there are, the poorer the performance.

It was suggested that I might try adding just one of my user controls to the page, hide it, and when the user clicks on an icon to pop up the tool tip, to move the control to the click location and display it. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck dynamically associating the control with the image clicked or moving the control. I read somewhere that the PopupControlExtender couldn't be repositioned because it's location is set before the page is rendered. I thought maybe wrap the PCE around a DIV or something and moving it, but I haven't had any luck, either.

Has anybody successfully accomplished this or maybe have some hints to guide me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Carlo.

Monday, June 22, 2015 3:17 PM

All replies

• User61956409 posted

Hi Carlo,

Thanks for your post.

Could you show us your code of user control and repeater? It will help reproduce your problem.

Best Regards,

Fei Han

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 4:58 AM
  • User-1225015118 posted

Thanks for your reply and offer to help. I think that there would be too much code to show: 2 user control files plus an aspx including code behind.

My description was meant to give the forum an idea of what I'm working on. I'm looking to see if it's possible to:

• add a generic PopupControlExtender to a page
    • on the click of an image
      • associate the generic PCE with the clicked image
      • move it to beside the image
      • display the PCE
    • have that generic PCE work with any item on the page I choose

As I mentioned, my only success was with the standard PCE functionality: associating one PCE per item. Everything else I did was, "try this, try that" so my attempts wouldn't be of any assistance.

If you still want to see what I have, I'll try to strip it all down as bare as possible.

Thanks,

Carlo.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 10:22 AM