none
SQL Server Migration.

Question

• Hello,

There is one SQL server (which has 3 instances) needs to migrated from one DC to another DC along with application servers & dependent servers. We planned to adopt Lift and Shift migration method for movement using some migration tools available in the market.

Once the servers are moved to new DC. There is a plan to change the server names and IP address for both Database and application server. Apart from these there is no any other changes involved in the plan.  

I have a plan to provide a alias name (same old name) to windows box and calling application will re pointed to databases without any changes in the application configuration files. 

Any other taught or methods?

Thank you! 

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi RaghuMohan,

There are few things I can think of:

>>Once the servers are moved to new DC.

Did you mean Domain Controller? If so, please review this KB article for restrictions and special considerations.

>>There is a plan to change the server names and IP address for both Database and application server.

As long as you could redirect connection requests to the new server, it should be fine.

>>We planned to adopt Lift and Shift migration method for movement using some migration tools available in the market.

Data Migration Assistant would come in handy here. You would also need to plan for SQL Agent Job/SSIS package/Login migrations as well.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:52 AM
  • I have a plan to provide a alias name (same old name) to windows box

Regarding SQL Server alias, see SQL Server Alias Configuration on Remote Machines for how to automate alias deployment.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 7:10 AM
  • Hi Lin,

Thanks for your response! Please find my further comments to your suggestion.

>>Once the servers are moved to new DC.

Did you mean Domain Controller? If so, please review this KB article for restrictions and special considerations.

Comment - DC remains same.

>>There is a plan to change the server names and IP address for both Database and application server.

As long as you could redirect connection requests to the new server, it should be fine.

Comment - Does it involves any application config changes to redirect connection requests to the new server? Can application servers connect to new database server as per the old config files configuration since we have added alias name on new database server. 

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:53 AM
  • As long as you could redirect connection requests to the new server, it should be fine.

Comment - Does it involves any application config changes to redirect connection requests to the new server? Can application servers connect to new database server as per the old config files configuration since we have added alias name on new database server. 

I believe hostname remains the same in that case if connection string uses hostname IP change would not have affect. You would have to make changes in DNS to know other systems on network that IP has changed.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:46 PM