HID/OPOS hardware access

Question

• Hi i'm currently testing some hardware for a proof of concept (win 8.1 app on HP elitepad tablet).

My tablet has a retail jacket which has a magnetic stripe reader and a barcode scanner.

I'm trying to use the new pointOfService library from win 8.1 but there is nothing working (even example from msdn won't connect). 

I'm able to connect to the magnetic stripe reader using the HID device API (even if the usage is said to be restricted to pointOfService in msdn).

However for the barcode scanner, the usageId and usage page are not allowed for direct HID device connection.

Does anyone have any information(or success) about using the PointOfService API? 

Could it be related to HP drivers? or OPOS drivers? Maybe the deviceInterfaceClassGuid that win 8.1 is expecting for scranner and MSR is not the one that my devices use?

Do I need specific 8.1 drivers for beeing able to us the pointOfService API?

Any kind of information besides the dummy msdn code example would be appreciated.

More details : 

Both the MSR and barecode scanner are OPOS compatible.

I'm able to use the HP test app to validate that the hardware is working properly.

The barcode scanner can be used in HID keyboard emulation and in OPOS mode. No success connection in either of them.

thanks in advance,

Chris

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hi, Chris.

I'm not sure if this is your case, the problem may indeed be in not supported Microsoft corporation. Microsoft may execute code controls, be will implement to their program. Based on the analysis of the signature shall be granted or not. Operating system refuses to work with unsigned driver. It's nothing new. It's only an idea.

Best friendly regards Luccka.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:34 PM