none
[UWP] Performance issues with apps compiled with .NET Native Toolchain

Question

• Hi,

I created a new topic, because the original topic is old already: 

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bdcd0ece-19df-4bb1-b9bc-81d18846446d/uwpuwp-apps-compiled-with-net-native-toolchain-extremely-slow?forum=wpdevelop

Anyway, it seems this is still a problem. Previously I already ran into performance issues, but I never thought it has something to do with this setting.

I shared 2 videos. In both videos, a row is selected and immediatly double clicked and a popup opens. You can see the big difference when it's compiled with .NET native toolchain. When it's not compiled with .NET native toolchain, the popup appears almost instantly. In the other video, it takes approx. 5 seconds. 

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuRGHnerbMinr0LwMjdFIdKL6CBF

Exactly the same version of the app. When I build the app from visual studio, without .NET native toolchain, it's fast. When a user downloads the app from the store, it's somewhere 5-10 times slower. I have difficulties to understand why the same app runs much slower when it's installed from the store vs. launch from VS without .NET native toolchain.

I tried to upload the app bundle built without .NET native toolchain, but as expected, it's refused. Is there anything I can do, so the app will run equally fast when it's downloaded from the store?

The whole UWP thing starts to irritate me. Store: Same app, same code, but 5-10 slower. How could I explain this to a (already) complaining customer.

Thanks in advance! Best regards...

Thursday, March 15, 2018 10:51 AM

Answers

• I solved this by downgrading the Microsoft.NETCore.UniversalWindowsPlatform package to 5.1. Performance is ok and store build is accepted with this version. I'm just puzzled why the store refuses recent versions of this package.

Anyway, maybe this can help other developers who run into the same issue with .NET native toolchain.

Regards...

• Marked as answer by SteveDeclerck Thursday, March 15, 2018 11:47 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 11:47 PM

All replies

• Hi again,

I solved the performance issues by installing the Microsoft.NETCore.UniversalWindowsPlatform package. When I make a build now  with .NET native toolchain, the app is running much faster than before. 

But now I'm facing a new problem: the app package is refused by the store. Error code is 1201. When I uninstall that package, upload is fine, but then of course it's sluggish again. I downgraded the Microsoft.NETCore.UniversalWindowsPlatform to version 5.4, but still refused.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by DwightKr Monday, March 19, 2018 4:55 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 10:20 PM
  • I solved this by downgrading the Microsoft.NETCore.UniversalWindowsPlatform package to 5.1. Performance is ok and store build is accepted with this version. I'm just puzzled why the store refuses recent versions of this package.

Anyway, maybe this can help other developers who run into the same issue with .NET native toolchain.

Regards...

• Marked as answer by SteveDeclerck Thursday, March 15, 2018 11:47 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 11:47 PM
  • Hi

Glad to hear that you have solved your problem.

It is appreciated to share your solution here.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 16, 2018 2:46 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not really sure if my problem is fixed :-( Maybe I was too fast to post here.

I was wondering why the store refuses packages that were built with the latest version of the Microsoft.NETCore.UniversalWindowsPlatform package. Latest release as of today is 6.0.8. Even earlier releases are also refused. The only version that seems accepted is 5.1.0.

Regards

Friday, March 16, 2018 7:57 AM