Old style start menu in WDP

Question

• I actually have a question now. I was reading a post from a couple of months ago that reveals the registry key that enables or disables the Metro Start Screen. This was great because I have really grown to despise the Metro UI, except for one thing. After disabling Metro and getting the Windows 7 style Start Menu back, how do I get rid of the message on the desktop telling me I'm fired and I'm going to jail?
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:02 AM

All replies

• I guess you use some software to make change style of start screen. It is behavior by that software and NOT Windows, I guess if you uninstall the software this message should go away.

The way of change start menu, is not offical way from Microsoft, I suggest use normal metro start and give feedback to improve it and these feedbacks will review.

Friday, November 18, 2011 11:39 AM
  • I guess you use some software to make change style of start screen. It is behavior by that software and NOT Windows, I guess if you uninstall the software this message should go away.
    No, it is the behavior of Windows after you make the registry change and restart Windows Explorer (or log out and back in, or restart your machine). It is not the behavior of "that software" because no software is needed to make the registry change.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:43 PM
  • If it is registry changes only that is true, but since user said that it showing " I'm fired and I'm going to jail" , I guess that user also used some software to make changes.  If you change registry in Windows it will never show " I'm fired and I'm going to jail".

Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:27 AM
  • If it is registry changes only that is true, but since user said that it showing " I'm fired and I'm going to jail" , I guess that user also used some software to make changes. If you change registry in Windows it will never show " I'm fired and I'm going to jail".
    You take things too literally. The message does not say you will go to jail, but it is quite menacing.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:23 PM