none
Windows Azure Emulator link tries to install Emulator and fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently re-paved my system with Windows 8.1 and VS 2013.  I have downloaded and installed the Azure SDK 2.2 using the Web Installer.  When I attempt to start the Storage Emulator by using the Windows Search for "Azure" and clicking on the storage emulator icon, it starts an installer, gathers information for 30-60 seconds, then announces that the installer file is on a network resource that cannot be found.  The path it's pointing to is an empty Temp directory. Also, there is no option for "Run As Administrator".

I have tried (multiple times) uninstalling all the SDK 2.2 stuff and reinstalling, and it still does the same thing, pointing to the same empty directory.  I have searched unsuccessfuly for the msi file that it's trying to run.  When I used file explorer to drill down into the All Users Start Menu and find the link "Windows Azure Storage Emulator - v2.2", its target field just says "Windows Azure Emulator v2.2", rather than pointing to a file location.  I have not succeeded in figuring out what actually gets run, or where it's getting the incorrect installation file path (especially considering that I have already run the installation via the Web Installer.)

I'm pulling my hair out over this one.  Can somebody please help?

Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:59 PM

Answers

• Okay, I think I'm getting a handle on this.

The installation was run under the administrator privileges.  But when I search for and attempt to run the Storage Emulator, it's running from a Non-Administrative account, and it attempts to install it again, using the paths that were originally placed in the registry when the the Administrative account installed it.  But they are no longer valid, so the installation fails.

It appears that Storage Emulator can only be run as an administrator as well.  So far, I have not found a way to run it other than to do a "switch users" and log in to the administrator account and run it from there.  Then it runs.  But there is no "Run As Administrator" option from search menu, or even if you explore down to the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Azure\Emulator start menu icon. So you can't run it while you're logged in as a regular user.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 1:32 PM
  • You don't have to use administrator privilege to use the emulator. The only exception is: Administrator privilege is required for full mode compute emulator. But it's not required to express mode compute emulator or storage emulator. Anyway, at least administrator account works for you at the moment.
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

I suggest you could try manual installation. You could try to download "WindowsAzureEmulator-x64.exe" and try to install it. You could download file from (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40893). When you open this link, You may need click the "download" button to download file.

Please try it.

Thanks.

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 20, 2013 5:36 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, Will.  

I tried that, but the result is still the same.

The first time I downloaded the file and ran it, it gave me the option of repairing the existing installation or uninstalling, so I selected Repair.  So something thinks it's already installed.

So I went into Control Panel and uninstalled Emulator, then tried re-installing, and then running the emulator again.  It still tries to find the msi to install. 

The msi file that it is trying to install is emulator.6492.fre.rd_sdk_stable_v2r2.130926-0939-x64.msi, and it continues to insist on trying to load it from the same empty %TEMP% directory.

A new Command lnk file was created  by the installation in the All Users / Start Menu directory.  But its target still just says "Windows Azure Emulator - v2.2", with no hint of where that is coming from.

I do appreciate your response, though.

Friday, December 20, 2013 11:49 AM
  • Okay, I think I'm getting a handle on this.

The installation was run under the administrator privileges.  But when I search for and attempt to run the Storage Emulator, it's running from a Non-Administrative account, and it attempts to install it again, using the paths that were originally placed in the registry when the the Administrative account installed it.  But they are no longer valid, so the installation fails.

It appears that Storage Emulator can only be run as an administrator as well.  So far, I have not found a way to run it other than to do a "switch users" and log in to the administrator account and run it from there.  Then it runs.  But there is no "Run As Administrator" option from search menu, or even if you explore down to the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Azure\Emulator start menu icon. So you can't run it while you're logged in as a regular user.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 1:32 PM
  • You don't have to use administrator privilege to use the emulator. The only exception is: Administrator privilege is required for full mode compute emulator. But it's not required to express mode compute emulator or storage emulator. Anyway, at least administrator account works for you at the moment.
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:17 AM
  • Well, if you don't have to use administrator privilege to use the emulator, then it's still not working right. If I try to hit it without being an administrator, all it does is try to install it (even though it's already installed), and it tries to install it through a directory in the administrator AppData tree, which, as a non-administrator, it can't get to.  So something is still hosed.
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:49 AM