none
Oracle data providers, what's the difference in a production environment RRS feed

• Question

• I developing an ASP.net app that will use an Oracle Db running on a LINUX server. 

I have successful installed the Oracle tools for Visual Studio.

I have three possible data providers for connecting to the database.  Oracle (ODP.NET) and from Microsoft (.net framework data provider for Oracle, and the .net framework provider for OLE db).   I can connect to my local Oracle Express using any of the three.

What is the difference between using the .net Framework Data Provider for Oracle and the Oracle Data Provider for .net.   I find the Microsoft data provider gives me full functionality in Visual Studio 2008 as compared to the limited functionality when using ODP.NET.  I prefer to develop with the MS provider but am concerned that I'll have database issues in production.  Will the .net Framework provider for ORacle allow me to interface with the ORACLE db as well as the ODP.net or should I shift to the ODP.net provider asap?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:03 PM

Answers

• Not sure why you think the ODP.NET provider is limited. It should support some Oracle specific features that the Microsoft provider does not support. In addition, the Microsoft provider has been deprecated as of .NET Framework version 4.0. It may not be in the next version of the .NET Framework so I would highly recommend using ODP.NET.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by Charlie W86 Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:15 PM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:15 PM