none
Using Group Policy to push out new version of an application to Win 7 machines (using Win Server 2008 R2) RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use Group Policy Management Console to push out a new version of an application (via .msi files) to machines connected to the server.  When installed manually, the application automatically removes the previous version (e.g. 1.0.00) and installs the new version (e.g. 1.0.01).  However when I try to push out the new version (1.0.01) via the Group Policy Management Console the computer doesn't seem to get this new version, as it remains at version 1.0.00 of the application.

It seems to be relatively straightforward to do this, although when I read the MS way of doing it I see the Group Policy tab mentioned and there is none i.e. @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102

However, I came across another way of doing this @ http://openofficetechnology.com/node/27.  When I follow this to install a new version of my application on the computers, the process work fine, but as above the new version isn't installed on the machines even after I do a restart.  Any suggestions or ideas on this as to what I may be doing wrong?

Stephen
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:00 PM

Answers

• Have you tried running GPUPDATE /FORCE from the domain controller? Also - how many DC's do you have? Could there be a A/D replication latency occurring?
    -Ira Bell
    • Marked as answer by SWClarke Monday, January 16, 2012 10:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:45 PM

All replies

• Have you tried running GPUPDATE /FORCE from the domain controller? Also - how many DC's do you have? Could there be a A/D replication latency occurring?
    -Ira Bell
    • Marked as answer by SWClarke Monday, January 16, 2012 10:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:45 PM
  • Hi Ira,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I think that I found it - the problem seems to be that I need to increment the first number in the overall version number in Visual Studio i.e. go from 1.0.00 to 2.0.00, rather than increment one of the other numbers (as above go from 1.0.00 to 1.0.01).  I would have expected Group Policy Management Console to work on any increase in the version number, as this works when I do a manual install on the local machine.

Stephen

Stephen
    Monday, January 16, 2012 10:05 AM