none
SP1 for SLQServer2016 installation failed: error code 0x851A0018

Question

• Hi all,

as per post title, I am not able to install the SP1 for SQLServer2016 through the file 'SQLServer2016SP1-KB3182545-x64-ITA'.
    Here is what I get:

Error while installing Functional instance of the services of the SQL Server Database Engine
    Unable to stop the instance with process ID 2716. Error Detected: Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.ScoException: The service can not accept control messages at this time. --- System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception>: The service can not accept control messages at this time. in Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.Service.ControlService (UInt32 dwControlCode) in Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.Service.StopService (Boolean bStopDependents) in Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.Service.StopServiceWait (Int32 dwTimeout, Boolean bStopDependents ) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.Service.StopServiceWait (Int32 dwTimeout, Boolean bStopDependents) in Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.Service.StopServiceWait (Int32 dwTimeout , Boolean bStopDependents) in Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlEngine.SqlServerServiceSCM.StopSqlServer (Boolean withFailpoint)

Error Code: 0x851A0018.

Well, I stopped the process ID 2716, which is exactly 'sqlservr.exe'.
    By trying to install it again, the error changes to the service NT'SQLSERVER'.
    I tried to identify it, but I am not sure I managed this one in the proper way: indeed, the retry-installation stopped because of it.

Is there anyone who faced the same issue or an expert who could help me, please?
    Thank you very much!

Thursday, January 19, 2017 11:50 PM

All replies

• MSSQLServer is your default instance. It appears to be applying the sp to the correct instance.

At the bottom of your image is the log file. Can you post that here, or perhaps on pastebin.com and then post the generated url back here?

Friday, January 20, 2017 1:11 AM
  • Thank you Hilary for the response.

Hi pqMaurizio,

This issue requires detailed installation log for analysis, could you please share it to us? As mentioned by Hilary, you can click the link shown below, because this log file consists tens of thousands of lines, I suggest you put the txt-file in Onedrive and share the link to us.

Besides, please go to SQL Server Configuration manager, right click on the SQL Server service, then check if the account you used for SQL Server Service has the local admin permission.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 20, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Hi all again,

and thanks for your timely response!

Here is the link to a OneDrive folder of mine where I put the relevant text files.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AikBrdIavAtVhSrcD4DAeVrnIupV

I will perform the check within the SQL ConfigManager as soon as I get home!

Thanks to everyone who will give me further explanations.

Maurizio

Friday, January 20, 2017 6:11 PM
  • Hi pqMaurizio,

Have you checked it on your machine?

Besides, we don't need to stop the sqlservr.exe when we install Service Pack 1 for SQL Server, the root problem of this issue is not this, please start this process and install it again, then share the latest error message (with the process sqlservr.exe started) to us for analysis.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Hi Teige,

My PC has got only the admin profile active. It seems there is no way to access this detail (with the exception of the image I am sharing below).

I get always the same error code.

At this link, you can find the details: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AikBrdIavAtVhQxB3FF8caQdc3-A

Furthermore, I think there is something strange in the details shown herein attached (image).

Thank you, really, for your support,

pqMaurizio

Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:09 PM