none
PDO name for UMDF driver RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen! I'm writing a driver for a virtual COM port soundings DDK. After installing the driver name in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM the form type \Device\000000xx, and I need to tell him your name. 

For example, a normal COM-port has an entry like \Device\Serial0 = COM1. I tried to change the name of the value on their own, but it gets back to the form \Device\000000xx after reboot. Why?
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can't control the pdo name. You don't need to either. The real value of the serialcomm key is the key name (ie COM1), not the device name the symbolic link points to

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:26 PM
  • You can't control the pdo name. You don't need to either. The real value of the serialcomm key is the key name (ie COM1), not the device name the symbolic link points to

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

How other virtual ports write that name? I have installed other COM port named: \Device\Tpport0 = COM3 and \Device\VSerial_1 = COM8 and other names. And my device have the form \Device\0000003a = COM10. I need to name it, too, had the correct view! 

In KMDF is a function of which seems to doing it : WdfDeviceInitAssignName, but it does not work in UMDF.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:41 AM
  • the UMDF virtual serial driver shows how to do this, http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowshardware/Virtual-serial-driver-8383ea42/view/SourceCode#content

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:16 PM
  • the UMDF virtual serial driver shows how to do this, http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowshardware/Virtual-serial-driver-8383ea42/view/SourceCode#content

In this example, is not possible to set the name of the PDO, there we only get through:

SetupDiGetDeviceRegistryProperty (...,
    SPDRP_PHYSICAL_DEVICE_OBJECT_NAME,....)

• Marked as answer by Artemprodigy Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:11 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:38 AM
  • Hi,

Did you ever resolve your .NET access problems to the Virtual COM port? I am running into the same issue using Windows 10. 

Thursday, August 3, 2017 12:42 PM
  • The OP did not mention anything related to .NET. Please create a new thread.

-- pa

Thursday, August 3, 2017 1:24 PM