none
Windows 10 - Can't create store apps

Question

• I have Windows 10 Home and have Visual studio 2013 Professional installed. When I try to select a windows store project template I only have the template that is named "Install Windows 8.1"

When I click on it, it takes me to a local html page that has a button to install windows 8.1.

I look in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Windows Store\1033 and I have many template folders there but I can't get them in the IDE.

I can create Store Apps because I was able to download an online template and start from there. Probably my question is, Why can't I see the other standard templates in the project templates?

Any help is appreciated.

Greg

• Edited by GregOsborne Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:49 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

I have downloaded the VS2013 in my computer, and after installed it. I have checked the path you posted, I found there also has some template folders in it but I also need to “install Window 8.1 …” to create Window 8.1 project.

I think when we installed the VS by default, these templates have been copied to the specify folder, but we could not create the Windows Store project only with these templates, and we also other components. So we need to completely install the Windows Store 8.1 components and these templates could be listed in the VS project template box.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 14, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Oscar, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I have uninstalled and reinstalled VS2013 and still have the same issue. I don't know what you mean by "completely install the Windows Store 8.1 components ". As I mentioned, I was able to create and run Windows Store applications from an online template, but that template did not meet my needs as it was in VB.NET. I am looking for the C# Windows Store project templates, which, although they are located in the correct folder, do not show up in VS2013.

Thanks

Friday, October 14, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Hi GregOsborne,

>>I was able to create and run Windows Store applications from an online template

Which online template you used, and where you get it?

After we have installed the VS by default, we could not new Windows Store 8.1 template. We need to install other components via clicking the template option (in VS template list box).  When we click this option the VS will install Windows Store 8.1 template automatically. Please share me a screenshot of Windows Store template in your VS template box.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 17, 2016 1:59 AM
  • The location of the template I was able to open and use is below

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/9ef94ec6-3378-45b9-908c-cff703d2b901?SRC=VSIDE

I am unable to show images as my account has not been verified, but as stated earlier, all I get in my templates is "Install Windows 8.1". When I open the template, I get a page with a button "Install Windows 8.1". When clicking that button it takes me to 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-10

it does not "install Windows Store 8.1 template automatically"  as you stated.

Greg

Monday, October 17, 2016 1:46 PM
  • Hi Greg,

>>I am unable to show images as my account has not been verified

You could upload some images to OneDrive and share a link here.

Please install some components from VS setup, please refer to the following steps:

Click start->control panel-> programs and features->right-click Microsoft Visual Studio VS 2013-> change-> Modify->Please check some options on Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.0/8.1 Tools-> Update

After Update, then click the Win8.1 template in VS to observe whether has the same issue.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:46 AM
  • I have all options selected on my installation. See link

https://1drv.ms/i/s!ApZoQiNwCKHojINbGEh3C4h05_LdCA

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Hi GregOsborne,

I have checked your screenshot, I found you used Blend version. Please use completely version of VS2013 professional for Windows phone developing. Or you could use VS2015 Community to develop Windows phone app.

Please down load VS2015 Community from the following link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:30 AM
  • I don't understand the difference if I install Blend or not. I have VS2013 Professional. This included Blend. So you are telling me that if I install VS2013 Professional without installing Blend, that I would be able to develop phone apps? This doesn't make sense.

I'm using VS2013 Professional for work - we have not purchased 2015 yet and using the Community Edition is prohibited by license. We cannot use 2015 so the second option is not possible.

Please explain to me why with VS2013 Professional, with all components installed, I must remove Blend or install an alternate product to develop phone apps.

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 1:12 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Thank you for your response.

>>I don't understand the difference if I install Blend or not.

Then Blend version was installed by default when we install VS in default. And the goal of Blend version is to help designers design a good UI such as WPF or Window Phone. The following links are about VS blend for designing WP UI.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj171012.aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj683046(v=vs.105).aspx

>>So you are telling me that if I install VS2013 Professional without installing Blend, that I would be able to develop phone apps?

At first, I think you have used VS 2013 pro and not Blend version, it is my misunderstanding. If we want to developing WP app, I suggest we had better use VS 2013 completely version. The following screenshot in my VS 2013 Blend that could creating a WP project:

>>I must remove Blend or install an alternate product to develop phone apps

You need not remove Blend, you need modify VS2013 pro in Control Panel not VS Blend, and check all components about WP developing. Not modify Blend version.

If I misunderstand your issue, please feel free to let me know, thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Oscar

Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:34 AM
  • This has not helped me at all. You have not given me anything to try. I have uninstalled VS2013 and reinstalled several times, selecting different configurations and I still do not have the Windows 8.1 templates.
    Monday, October 24, 2016 1:21 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Thank you for your response. In my VS2013, I installed the Store Apps templates in setup file and they are listed in the following list box.

I suggest we could reinstall the all the templates with the following steps:

Click Start->Developer Command Prompt for VS-> type “devenv.exe /InstallVSTemplates”

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 8:56 AM