none
Kinect SDK, Depth Max range clamping RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the Kinect to detect objects out near the limit of range (4m), however as soon as I go beyond this figure the SDK seemed to clamp the data at that point.

On further research I've found the OPENNI framework does appear to produce results above the 4m limit (indeed some results show figures of 8-9m away), although the reliability/accuracy of the returned data may be suspect.

Hence the question, is it possible to set some property??? where data can be supplied unclipped (accepting the decrease in reliability), e.g like a "Far Mode" option, or do I need to consider developing utilising the OPENNI framework?

Thanks

Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:57 PM

All replies

• I think their is an ability in the newer sdk to read raw depth data (it might have been the 1.7 sdk I am thinking about). You could just read raw depth data though using the sdk though.

To answer your question I think that OPENNI sdk might be able to get depth images 8-9m away from the Kinect but relating to reliability I do not think the results would be very accurate. I think to produce high quality images from Kinect you need to be in the 4m range.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:23 PM