Web Based offline applications RRS feed

• Question

• Friends,

I need a quick help on coming up with architecture for building offline Web  based applications. The requirement is this application should be available when not connected to the network / Internet.

Do you folks have a Microsoft based solution for this.

Regards
    Azhar
    Thanks and Regards Azhar Amir
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Azhar_Amir,

you can use the following Architecture:
    1) for Presentation Layer a Silverlight Application
    2) As Business Layer self hosted WCF Services
    3) As Datastore SQL Server Compact or Standard Edition

I would suggest you the following Libraries and Frameworks;
    1) Presentation Layer: Prism for Composite Applications (Presentation Layer)
    2) Business Layer: Web Services Factory Modelling Edition
    3) Data Access Layer: Entity Framework
    4) If any kind of Synchronization is needed, Synch-Framework

i wish you good luck :-)

oral polat

• Marked as answer by Azhar_Amir Friday, March 26, 2010 5:34 AM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:28 AM
  • I would also recommend silverlight and specifically silverlight4.  Make the application install on the client and run out of browser.  EF4 also has a lot to offer and all the .Net4 goodies are in full release imminently.  With Silverlight4 I think Prism has less to offer than say SL2.  I wouldn't entertain installing SQL server express on every PC unless you really need to and if you really need to then I wouldn't use silverlight because you may as well also install the client framework whilst you're at it.

You should at least consider clickonce deployment and WPF or winforms.  Especially so if you want full on reporting or think you need sql server express.

Friday, March 19, 2010 3:13 PM
  • If you want to keep something on the client side, you have to wait for HTML5 (it supports this feature), or develop something like Google Gears, check it out, there are a plenty of articles.

Or, probably you can even reuse Google Gears.

MCP, MCAD
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:31 AM

All replies

• I think you should look into Silverlight
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Can you explain what sort of web application you are looking for. Does it require database, other resources etc
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:58 PM
  • Hi Azhar_Amir,

you can use the following Architecture:
    1) for Presentation Layer a Silverlight Application
    2) As Business Layer self hosted WCF Services
    3) As Datastore SQL Server Compact or Standard Edition

I would suggest you the following Libraries and Frameworks;
    1) Presentation Layer: Prism for Composite Applications (Presentation Layer)
    2) Business Layer: Web Services Factory Modelling Edition
    3) Data Access Layer: Entity Framework
    4) If any kind of Synchronization is needed, Synch-Framework

i wish you good luck :-)

oral polat

Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:28 AM
  • I would also recommend silverlight and specifically silverlight4.  Make the application install on the client and run out of browser.  EF4 also has a lot to offer and all the .Net4 goodies are in full release imminently.  With Silverlight4 I think Prism has less to offer than say SL2.  I wouldn't entertain installing SQL server express on every PC unless you really need to and if you really need to then I wouldn't use silverlight because you may as well also install the client framework whilst you're at it.

You should at least consider clickonce deployment and WPF or winforms.  Especially so if you want full on reporting or think you need sql server express.

Friday, March 19, 2010 3:13 PM
  • If you want to keep something on the client side, you have to wait for HTML5 (it supports this feature), or develop something like Google Gears, check it out, there are a plenty of articles.

Or, probably you can even reuse Google Gears.

MCP, MCAD
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:31 AM