getting access denied to one rdl file when trying to deploy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.   I just put a copy of an RS solution on one of our servers.  It has a main report and a number of sub reports. 

The original was developed by a co worker.   She used R2 and the server I put the copy on is R2.

I am trying to deploy to another server and getting "access to the path 'C:...\debug\1. Subreport Name.rdl'  is denied".  "1." is part of the subreport file name.

Is there an account other than my userid under which deployment is running and which perhaps doesnt have permissions on this file?  Other than special permissions, I seem to have full control on this directory.  How can I determine under which account this deployment is running?   Once I do , should I give that account certain permissions on the path to this rdl file?

• Edited by db042188 Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:09 PM clarification on 1. and embedded blank in file name
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:07 PM

Answers

• my bad everybody.  It looks like TFS left at least one of the rdl files in a read only status.  Once that was removed , the deployment got past the security errors.   Now I will contend with the new error messages and posty separately if I need help there. 
    • Marked as answer by db042188 Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:43 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:42 PM

All replies

• Do you have a non-system drive(D, E etc)? If yes, please copy your rdl file to the non-sytem drive, add it to your report project and deploy it.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Thx.  No, I need to deploy from C:...   
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Did you check the permissions or security on that file? Take ownership of that folder and try.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:30 PM
  • yes, I have full control.  Did anybody catch the question about whether deployment might be running under a different account?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Yep, but that should not be an issue. its the Service account that matters and check if the service account has access to the folders. You can check the service account for Reporting Services from Services in Administrator folder.

The folder should allow "everyone" to read, and some admin users to write.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Thx.  NETWORK SERVICE (which is both the RS and Engine service acct) also has full control and yet we get the same error deploying.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Time to do some debugging.

is the issue with one report or any other report too?

Try these, if you have not:

1. try to deploy a report from another location, to see if it works

2. Try to deploy another report from the same location

If both of them succeed, then the problem lies with the report in question. You may have to make a copy of the file, delete the current one, and the move the copy to this location.

If #1 fails, then, the problem is with the server. That seems to be unlikely

if its #2 that fails, we need to dig deeper

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:52 PM
  • see if this issue applies to you:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/543755/fiserv-tap-checking-it-rdl-source-sets-output-folder-to-read-only

also, check if you have deployed all the hotfixes for R2

• Proposed as answer by Kiranmayee Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:08 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:55 PM
  • my bad everybody.  It looks like TFS left at least one of the rdl files in a read only status.  Once that was removed , the deployment got past the security errors.   Now I will contend with the new error messages and posty separately if I need help there. 
    • Marked as answer by db042188 Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:43 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:42 PM