none
How MS Word calulcates the tab stop position while updating TOC, when the Heading paragraphs having more than one tab in between text. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I want to know, how MS Word calculates the tab stop position while updating TOC, when the heading paragraph is having more than one tab in between text.

Please find the screen shot for your reference.

When i am updating TOC field, it automatically updates tab stop position as 55pt, then next tabs are considered as single space.

Could you all please help me , is there any logic behind calculating tab stop position.

Thanks,

Pradeep L

Saturday, June 6, 2015 4:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Pardeep

By default, a TOC style does not have tab stops defined and will use the default stops, which will tend to "stagger" the tabs, depending on the length of the text. If I click on the tab stop symbol in the ruler (or anywhere in the ruler) this triggers a functionality in Word that updates the style to create a tab stop position for the current TOC entries, using the tab stop position on which the mouse was clicked.

It does not appear that the tab stop position of the original text has any influence on the tab stop position used in the TOC.

IF you're seeing something different then you need to provide exact steps to reproduce the behavior.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Hi Cindy Meister,

Thanks for your valuable reply, I have checked with different  kind of test cases to reproduce this issue. Based on my analysis i have conclude, how MS Word calculates the tab stop position for this case, please find the details below:

Up to tab stop position 88 updated constant manner, when the the text length is below 77 as i mentioned earlier with table format. If the the text length exceeds 77 , tab stop position updated with text length + 11. This updating method only working for first line in a TOC paragraph alone.  After first line, MS Word will tend to "stagger" the tabs, depending on text length as you said earlier.

Thanks,

Pradeep L

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:06 AM

All replies

• HI Pradeep

Which tab stop position do you mean: that in the TOC or that in the text?

If you mean the TOC, then it's defined in the TOC style. If none is defined in the TOC style, then it will "inherit" the settings of the style(s) on which it is based (by default, the Normal style). If no settings are defined in the hierarchy of based styles then the default tab stops will be used.

Saturday, June 6, 2015 6:36 PM
  • Hi Cindy Meister,

Thanks for your reply. I want to know about tab inside in the heading paragraph text.

Ex: I want to know that tab stop position 55 calculation process in TOC.

Could you please help me as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Pradeep L

Sunday, June 7, 2015 8:08 AM
  • Hi Pradeep

Word won't use the tab stop setting of the Heading paragraph when generating the TOC - all it does is pickup the Tab characters. Word will use the tab settings of the TOC style to position where the tab characters will "stop". That's why the text after the tabs align in the TOC sample you show us.

Sunday, June 7, 2015 7:16 PM
  • Hi Cindy Meister,

I have list out the table for tab stop position calculated by MS word, while updating TOC. Here i have mentioned text length value is based on MS ruler horizontal position (Not accurately)

Val - Text length before appearing first tab in TOC paragraph.

S.N0

Text Length Before tab

Skipping value

Tab stop position

0 val< 11

11>Val<22

22>val<33

33>val<44

44>val<55

55>val<66

66>val<77

But if the text length exceeds the 77, the tab stop position in TOC paragraph updated with some fractional values.  Can you please help me? the above mentioned analysis table is right or wrong?

Thanks,

Pradeep L

Monday, June 8, 2015 4:09 AM
  • Hi Cindy Meister,

You said "Word will use the tab settings of the TOC style to position where the tab characters will "stop"", Yes absolutely you are right. But i want to know how MS word calculates the tab stop position value in TOC pargraph, while updating TOC field.

Ex  : How word takes tab stop position as 55, why it is not 44 (or) some other value. Could you please refer the first screenshot, which one i have posted earlier.

Thanks,

Pradeep L

Monday, June 8, 2015 4:15 AM
  • Hi Pardeep

By default, a TOC style does not have tab stops defined and will use the default stops, which will tend to "stagger" the tabs, depending on the length of the text. If I click on the tab stop symbol in the ruler (or anywhere in the ruler) this triggers a functionality in Word that updates the style to create a tab stop position for the current TOC entries, using the tab stop position on which the mouse was clicked.

It does not appear that the tab stop position of the original text has any influence on the tab stop position used in the TOC.

IF you're seeing something different then you need to provide exact steps to reproduce the behavior.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Hi Cindy Meister,

Thanks for your valuable reply, I have checked with different  kind of test cases to reproduce this issue. Based on my analysis i have conclude, how MS Word calculates the tab stop position for this case, please find the details below:

Up to tab stop position 88 updated constant manner, when the the text length is below 77 as i mentioned earlier with table format. If the the text length exceeds 77 , tab stop position updated with text length + 11. This updating method only working for first line in a TOC paragraph alone.  After first line, MS Word will tend to "stagger" the tabs, depending on text length as you said earlier.

Thanks,

Pradeep L

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:06 AM