dplay.dll issues RRS feed

• Question

•  

vista doesnt appear to come with dplay, i had issues running old games like doom, transport tycoon etc

however i have found a solution in the windows/system32 dir there is a file called dplayx.dll

the solution i found is to create a copy of the file and name it dplay.dll

you should find this will solve your problem Big Smile

hope this helps, chaosx

Saturday, March 8, 2008 11:03 PM

All replies

• You rock!!

Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:02 AM
  •  

Thank you.......... ingenius... I love Doom... and when it didn't work after installation I got aggravated... your solution worked like a charm...
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:10 AM
  • Seemed to fix my Master of Orion 2 problem.  Many thanks!

Saturday, August 2, 2008 10:21 AM
  • Thanks Chaosx! This is fabulous! I play Master of Orion II like Dada Doom. I would really have been bummed if I couldn't play it.
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 6:13 PM
  • THX so much.  I was afraid some of my favorite old games (MOO2 forever!) would be gone with Win98/ME, but this works just fine.
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:23 PM
  • I'm sure this will help me play my old games but Im not very good on my laptop! could you tell me how to get to system32 please

thanks
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:53 AM
  • I do not have a file named dplayx.dll in my  system 32 dir.  Any other suggestions?
    • Proposed as answer by badass8 Saturday, June 16, 2012 12:19 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:20 AM
  • THANKS!! It worked
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Fix verified to work with Windows 7. Keep Playing never stop!
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:22 AM
  • I dont have dplayx.dll on my version either...are you running a windwos vista 16bit?
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 1:03 AM
  • Thank you SO much for this amazingly simple solution. i went and tried it and Doom is running just fine on vista!!! Thanks you so very much!
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:28 AM
  • hi

copy dplay.dll from c:\windows\winsxs to c:\windows\system32      folder..
    or download it from dowload dll.com

it will work

thanks
    • Proposed as answer by SameerMittal Saturday, February 6, 2010 9:30 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:26 PM
  • I've got the file copied.. then I double click the orion95 button, the screen flashed like its loading.....

then nothing, back to my desktop!

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong!
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 4:44 AM
  • Hi

copy windows/system32 dir there is a file called dplayx.dll and create a copy of it and name it as dplay.dll

restart the computer....

THanks
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 9:29 AM
  • I've found dplayx.dll, but every time I go to copy/paste, it says I don't have authorization.   How do I work around that? 

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Monday, March 8, 2010 4:18 PM
  • search dplayx.dll on your computer

put search opitions to search whole computer

hope this helps

Friday, April 2, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Awsome it worked

Monday, May 31, 2010 3:49 PM
  • WOW! It's work! After 2 years, it's finally work >_< ! Thank you man, thank you! ;P
    Monday, June 21, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Hey thanks for this.... helped heaps!! cheers

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:08 PM
  • I have just encountered this same problem with Windows 7, that is, I cannot play the downloaded (via idsoftware.com) version of Ultimate DOOM I just payed 20 bucks for. I get the same message that DPLAY.dll is not found. I cannot reinstall it because I downloaded it online. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shawn

Monday, August 9, 2010 6:37 PM
  • How about Windows 7? and how do you access the dplayx.dll in windows/system32 dir Explorer tells me Search item not found! HELP!!!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Not sure if I am rehashing what others might have said, but I will run from the beginging just incase;

I find the Autorun tends to fail install for any o/s after XP, so install the program (Setup.exe) with Admin priv and disable anti-virus.  For win7 users, you may also need to set compatibility made to Vista (no service packs).  If install fails, you may get a blank message box with a big red cross :)

The setup should also ask if you wish to install directX v6.1, say yes since it can do no harm at all.  There are certain files which came in DirectX v6.1 (including DPLAY.DLL) as a final release, but regardless, you need to open a explorer window and find the DirectX directory on the installation source (i.e. the CD ROM).  Once there run the DXinfo.exe file to generate a list of installed and missing files, and unless your computer is from the stone ages and never seen a re-format, you will find 4 or 5 are listed as missing.  Now manually find these files on the installation source and do a copy and paste to the :\windows\system32\ directory, and if you run x64 you may need to use :\windows\sysWOW64\ (will not be harmful in anyway to put in both directories).  Although

*Important* When copying, do NOT overwrite any file if the name already exists.

Although you really only need to copy the dplay.dll, the others can help if you find the graphics are terrible.  Once complete, I would recommend doing a right-click/properties on the game shortcut and setting the compatibility to Vista with Admin priv.

Hope this helps some of you who may still be having problems.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Hi. I read your post. I have windows 7 and I am having the same problem with installing Doom Collectors Edition. It says that it does not have the dplay.dll file. DO you have any advice on how to correct the problem? It would be grealty appreciated. By the way, I do not know how to get into the the windows/system32 dir. Thank you I appreciate it.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Brilliant, Works With Windows 7 as well,

Thanks,

Gmuge7

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:01 PM
  • where do i go to create the copy? i have the doom install cd, and it installed but when i click on the icon to play it it says it cant find the dplay.dll and then it closes.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:11 AM
  • I found another way to get Ultimate Doom to work with Windows 7 if you have the disk. Put the disk in and install normally, then go to your DVD drive, open the DIRECTX folder, copy and paste DPLAY.DLL to whatever folder you installed to.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:52 AM
  • What about for windows 7. There is no dplayx.dll file.
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:27 PM
  • That's the game I'm trying to get to work but I'm useing windows 7 and there is no dplayx.dll file.
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:28 PM
  • I'm in windows 7 and I am bummed there is no dplayx.dll file to alter.
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:29 PM
  • I need the answer to that too.
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:30 PM
  • How?
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:30 PM
  • That file isnt in windows 7. HELP!!
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:32 PM
  • I have the same problem...no dplayx.dll.  I've tried downloading dplay.dll and that hasn't worked either.

• Proposed as answer by bugd313 Friday, August 26, 2011 6:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by bugd313 Friday, August 26, 2011 6:43 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:50 AM
  • I couldn't find dplayx.dll in Windows 7 at first either. What you do is open a Windows Explorer window and in the top right search box (should have "Search Computer" in italics) type "dplayx" and you should find it. I had two, in Windows\SysWOW64 directory and the other in a very long subfolder of the Windows\winsxs directory. Hope this helps.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Yea my computer doesnt even have dplayx.dll on it.  How do i manage to run ultimate doom without even a chance at fixing dplayx.dll if its not even on my computer?               HELP I WANT TO PLAY DOOM ON MY vista machine!!!

Ok i found dplayx.dll in that windows\syswow64 dir.... attempting to copy and rename it as dplay.dll........... wish me luck!

UM wheres the copy end up? I copied it, it went somewhere, how do i find the copy of dplayx.dll and rename it?

UpDATE I figured out how to make it work THANKS A LOT! I LOVE DOOM MUSIC!! LISTEN FOR A RENDITION OF IT IN THE FUTURE I WILL BE PRODUCING SOMETHING SIMILAR TO THE SOUNDS OF DOOM IN THE COMING YEARS, thanks man.
    • Edited by Euros2142 Saturday, September 3, 2011 6:31 AM
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 6:20 AM
  • Chaos, in my computer its not located there, for me its located in windows/sysWOW64, by the way , i have windows seven just to tell you that.

why is it there, did i do something wrong ?

so after a couple of minutes, i put it in the folder, it worked but doom showed only 1/8th of the screen, so small and it was black and white, so how do i fix ???
    • Edited by GSTORRES14 Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:49 PM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:44 PM
  • running windows 7 and having the same issues...after the copy/rename of the dplay driver I get a not compatable with the version of windows I am running error and if I run as admin then windows is unable to locate the executable...ideas?
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 10:44 PM
  • This solution doesn't work at all for Master of Orion II on Windows 7. Help?

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:59 AM
  • Hey, if you just got DOOM collectors edition or the doom+doom II+final doom etc or you still have it and just had a twinge of nostalgia, you should get Doomsday (it's free). It's a rebuild of the Doom engine using Quake III source code. It uses the data files and it's the exact same game, it just runs better on modern machines, has higher resolution options (same sprites and textures, just higher resolution and AA) and better controls, if you actually care for it.

If you really (I can't imagine why) want to play it exactly the same, just without the bugs, you should still get doomsday and just set the resolution to 320x200, turn off the look up and down, and bind strafe to ',' and '.' and movement to the arrow keys. Cause original ultimate doom was before all this 1280x1024, WASD movement, look up and down stuff.

No seriously, get Doomsday and you won't be disappointed.

As for MOOII, the idea is simple. Install the game in dosbox as though you were on a DOS computer and the MOOII CD was in your CD drive. It will auto detect the sound card settings correctly unless you've actually messed with dosboxs sound stuff. Now run MOOII like you would on a computer from nineteen-eighty-I'm-still-young. Back then DOS programs installed with a program called 'install' and windows 95 programs installed with a program called 'setup'.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:44 AM