none
Multi column forms RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Access 2013 to develop an application for a teacher. It consists of a table with 1,000 words that 1st graders need to learn. I am populating a form with the words with a check box so the teacher can note which words have been learned. My issue is that the 1,000 words are broken up into 10 groups of  100 words and I want to display all 100 words of a group on one form. I want to display 15 words in the first column then  start at the top of the form and display another 15 words to the right of column one and so on until all 100 words are displayed, side by side on the form. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Monday, July 13, 2015 5:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Probably not so easily by using four separate subforms, each filtered to only display the specific group of words. For example, the first subform could have a filter of WHERE ID Between 1 And 100, the second with something like WHERE ID Between 101 And 200, and so on...

Hope that helps...

• Proposed as answer by André Santo Monday, July 13, 2015 5:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by L.HlModerator Friday, July 24, 2015 6:33 AM
    Monday, July 13, 2015 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Probably not so easily by using four separate subforms, each filtered to only display the specific group of words. For example, the first subform could have a filter of WHERE ID Between 1 And 100, the second with something like WHERE ID Between 101 And 200, and so on...

Hope that helps...

• Proposed as answer by André Santo Monday, July 13, 2015 5:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by L.HlModerator Friday, July 24, 2015 6:33 AM
    Monday, July 13, 2015 5:38 PM
  • Thanks, I'll look into your suggestion.
    Monday, July 13, 2015 5:44 PM
  • Hi,

And if you manage to make it work using that layout and then wanted to display the other groups of words as well in the same layout, perhaps you can use code to switch the record source for the new groups or just use a Tab control to segregate each group in its own tab page.

Just a thought...

Monday, July 13, 2015 5:57 PM
  • I'm using Access 2013 to develop an application for a teacher. It consists of a table with 1,000 words that 1st graders need to learn. I am populating a form with the words with a check box so the teacher can note which words have been learned. My issue is that the 1,000 words are broken up into 10 groups of  100 words and I want to display all 100 words of a group on one form. I want to display 15 words in the first column then  start at the top of the form and display another 15 words to the right of column one and so on until all 100 words are displayed, side by side on the form. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Hi C Vivid,

A little of topic first: why 15 words in the first column, and not 20? 20 suits better in 100! I'll continue with 20 in a column.

I would typically use one subform with 20 controls for the words, and 20 controls for the checks. These can have systematic names: Word1 to Word20, and Check1 to Check20. During the Load event of the subform the controls get their values, for instance from the first 20 words in your table.

On the main form you can have 5 of the same subforms, again with a systematic name, so that you can develop an algorithm that you know which record from the Word_tbl is on which what control of what subform. It is handy to store the Word_id of the used record in the Tag of the Check-control.

You can then make a general procedure called in the AfterUpdate event of the Click-control to store the changed value (therefor the use of the Tag to identify the Word_id).

If you have mastered this basic principle, you can really play around with this. Fill the 5 subforms with the next of previous 100 words. Or make a shift register of dynamically display different sets of 20 words. You can even display only not yet learned words, or words displayed in a random matter.
    If you have generalized enough you could even scale the subforms to any value.

This kind of systematics I use now for quite a lot of complex situations, including planning systems both in time and geographical separation.

Imb.

Monday, July 13, 2015 7:38 PM
  •  Sounds great but unfortunately beyond my Access skill level. Although I am going to try to implement some of your suggestions.

Hi C vivid,

Build it up in small steps, trying to understand what is happening.

As all the controls on the subform are identical, try to generalize as much as possible. That is the way I have walked, starting at a same point as you are now, and with a result on this moment where I am very proud of: many a little makes a mickle.

And keep asking.

Imb.

Monday, July 13, 2015 9:04 PM

Why do you feel it necessary to display the words in columns.  Why can't you display them in one column with a scroll bar to navigate the list?  You could do that using a datasheet or continues forms design.  That would be much simpler and less time consuming = less $$$ to build.

As far as displaying the separate groups, you simply filter the record set for the desired group.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 3:59 PM
  • Thanks for the encouragement. I'll continue to ask questions!

C vivid

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 8:17 PM
  • You are right. A single column is easier. Only reason I was thinking about multi columns was because of a request from the user I am creating this for. See agreed that one column works just as well.

Thanks!

C vivid

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 8:20 PM