none
recovery deleted items in source folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

i have an issue to submit :

context : O365

we have enabled retention policy on several mailboxes to clean system folders (Inbox, deleted items, sent items etc...)

we gave to users the possibility to tag folders to exclude them from the policy but some users didn't set this tag on the folders. So the policy deletes all mails directly in the recovery deleted items folders. If we try to restore them with an outlook client (2010/2013/2016), they are restored in the trash. If we try to restore them from OWA, they are restored in the original folder but we can only select a few of them and some of our users have more than 10K mails. 

Do you have any way to make the same action with PowerShell (restore from recovery deleted items folder directly in the original folder) ?

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hello Troy,

than,ks for your answer. I was aware of this mechanism even if didn't know the name of the property (LastActiveParentEntryID (LAPEID) ) thanks for that.

But now my question is, how could i use PowerShell to do this automatically ? 

thanks in advance.

• Marked as answer by PAPIN Olivier Thursday, October 5, 2017 9:47 AM
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 9:20 AM

All replies

• No but you might be able to programmatically do this via LAPEID https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2017/06/13/announcing-original-folder-item-recovery/

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 5:50 PM
  • Hi

Run DeleteAndAllowRecovery command and action will perform  hard delete, sending the message to the dumpster. User will be able to recover the items using Recover Deleted Items dialog box in Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013 or the Outlook Web App. To get help https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297955(v=exchg.160).aspx

Regards,
    Raj
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Please mark as an "Answer" and do "Vote",if my contribution or answer is useful

Thursday, October 5, 2017 7:31 AM
  • Hello Troy,

than,ks for your answer. I was aware of this mechanism even if didn't know the name of the property (LastActiveParentEntryID (LAPEID) ) thanks for that.

But now my question is, how could i use PowerShell to do this automatically ? 

thanks in advance.

• Marked as answer by PAPIN Olivier Thursday, October 5, 2017 9:47 AM
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 9:20 AM
  • Alas you cannot use that function with PowerShell, you would have to write something in EWS to handle

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:58 PM
  • There was an announcement at ignite last week in session https://myignite.microsoft.com/sessions/53457 that 2 new cmdlets that are coming that will allow you to do this (Get-Recoverableitems and Restore-RecoverableItems) 

Cheers
    Glen

Thursday, October 5, 2017 8:59 PM
  • I just used Restore-RecoverableItems for EXO, thank you for the tip! I should really go to Ignite next year...
    Friday, December 15, 2017 2:48 AM