Driver or GPU information from windows store apps

Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to get GPU related information such as the driver version, clock speed, Bios version etc with the windows store apps?  I am looking to display information that Desktop utilities such as GPU-Z shows using C++.

Thanks.  

Friday, December 7, 2012 8:20 PM

Answers

• I think the only information you can really get to from a Windows Store app is to use QueryInterface on the Direct3D 11 device created for your app's ICoreWindow to obtain the IDXGIAdapter2 interface such as :

ComPtr<IDXGIDevice2> dxgiDevice;
    if( SUCCEEDED( d3dDevice.As( &dxgiDevice ) ) )
    {
        ComPtr<IDXGIAdapter> dxgiAdapter;
        if ( SUCCEEDED( dxgiDevice->GetAdapter( dxgiAdapter.GetAddressOf() ) ) )
        {
            DXGI_ADAPTER_DESC2 desc;
            if ( SUCCEEDED( dxgiAdapter->GetDesc2( &desc ) )
            {
            }
        }
    }

The information DXGI_ADAPTER_DESC2 contains about all the GPU details you can gleen from the driver via Windows Store app APIs.

Monday, December 10, 2012 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, there is no directly way to get the GPU information.

This API EnumDisplayDevices function cannot be used in Windows Store App.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd162609%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

If your App is based on DirectX. ID3D10Device::CheckFormatSupport method (Windows) can be used, but it only can get if the format is supported, not the device information.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb173536(v=vs.85).aspx

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 10, 2012 7:58 AM
  • I think the only information you can really get to from a Windows Store app is to use QueryInterface on the Direct3D 11 device created for your app's ICoreWindow to obtain the IDXGIAdapter2 interface such as :

ComPtr<IDXGIDevice2> dxgiDevice;
    if( SUCCEEDED( d3dDevice.As( &dxgiDevice ) ) )
    {
        ComPtr<IDXGIAdapter> dxgiAdapter;
        if ( SUCCEEDED( dxgiDevice->GetAdapter( dxgiAdapter.GetAddressOf() ) ) )
        {
            DXGI_ADAPTER_DESC2 desc;
            if ( SUCCEEDED( dxgiAdapter->GetDesc2( &desc ) )
            {
            }
        }
    }

The information DXGI_ADAPTER_DESC2 contains about all the GPU details you can gleen from the driver via Windows Store app APIs.

Monday, December 10, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

Apparently this solution is not working in my windows phone 8 apps, I get "Software Adapter" from GetDesc function. I'm sure this device (lumia device) has proper  device driver.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:10 AM