none
Process Name (PID) in xperf and windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running win7 x64 and i'm using the MS performance toolkit from http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/2/7/e2700369-d072-4fdc-a451-c3355eab0613/xperf_x64.msi

I'm have touble finding the process names, xperf only shows the PID.

I'm running a simple test:
        1- xperf -on diageasy
        2- xperf -d trace.etl
        3- xperf trace.etl
        4- Load Symbols Selected and the following command were used

REM Microsoft Symbol Server-based configuration
            set _NT_SYMBOL_PATH=srv*%SystemDrive%\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

REM Configure SymCache to always use the System drive:
            set _NT_SYMCACHE_PATH=%SystemDrive%\SymCache

If i look at the "CPU Usage by Process" graph and expand the list of process i only get the PID of the process not the names, if i trigger the "summary Table" i also get empty values in the "Process Name" & 'Process" columns

Regads.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:01 PM

Answers

• The 3 MSI setup programs appear to be in the \Setup\WinSDKTools_amd64\cab1.cab file.  (At least, that is the case with the Windows 7 RC1 x64 SDK...)
    • Marked as answer by AymanYassa Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:10 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:35 AM

All replies

• Hi GoofyE,

Seems you're using WPT 4.1.  Please download the Windows 7 RC1 SDK , which includes a newer version (4.5) of the WPT.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Hi No.Compromise,

Thank you for your reply, in fact i am using the 4.1 version. I donloaded the ISO file (Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1: RC) as per your recommendation but can't seem to find the msi file for xperf. any idea what is the name of the file?

I also noticed the following information in the Release Notes file
             Tools Removed from this Release
              - wpfperf.msi (now included in the Windows Performance Toolkit suite)

Regards.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:21 AM
  • The 3 MSI setup programs appear to be in the \Setup\WinSDKTools_amd64\cab1.cab file.  (At least, that is the case with the Windows 7 RC1 x64 SDK...)
    • Marked as answer by AymanYassa Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:10 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Thank you very much.

I did find the msi files and indeed the version is 4.5.7028 & my problem is fixed and I can now see the Process Names.

Thank Yiou.
    Regards.
    • Marked as answer by AymanYassa Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by AymanYassa Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:10 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Excellent - good to hear, GoofyE! :-)
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:17 AM