Adding additional fields RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking add additional fields / information to certain records - for example when someone takes their blood sugar we need to also capture the kind of activities they performed in the last few hours before the glucose test.

It would be nice as folks integrating and building applications we could define fields and vocabulary. Any quidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Rajeev Gupta

Avankia

Sunday, October 21, 2007 1:33 PM

Answers

• Any health record item instance can be extended through the CommonData.Extensions collection.  These extensions are not schema validated and are available to all applications that have access to the item.  If there is enough of an interest in the data in the extension we will consider formalizing the data into the core part of the item type schema or define a new type.

If you have vocabularies you would like to see added please contact hsfb@microsoft.com with details.

Jeff Jones

Monday, October 22, 2007 3:45 PM
  •  

In addition to what Jeff said, another option is to capture the activities as a separate data type.

If that data is useful in another context, it would probably be better to have it in a general type rather than part of another type. For example, if one of the activities is whether they have eaten a meal, that data might be useful to other applications (diet apps spring to mind).

I don't think it's a clear-cut decision, but in general I would side more towards putting data in a place where it's accessible to other applications.

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:05 PM

All replies

• Any health record item instance can be extended through the CommonData.Extensions collection.  These extensions are not schema validated and are available to all applications that have access to the item.  If there is enough of an interest in the data in the extension we will consider formalizing the data into the core part of the item type schema or define a new type.

If you have vocabularies you would like to see added please contact hsfb@microsoft.com with details.

Jeff Jones

Monday, October 22, 2007 3:45 PM
  •  

In addition to what Jeff said, another option is to capture the activities as a separate data type.

If that data is useful in another context, it would probably be better to have it in a general type rather than part of another type. For example, if one of the activities is whether they have eaten a meal, that data might be useful to other applications (diet apps spring to mind).

I don't think it's a clear-cut decision, but in general I would side more towards putting data in a place where it's accessible to other applications.

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:05 PM