How to globalize, localize, or translate efficiently cube and dimension content RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I'm new here and have no knowledge about SQL server. I'm specialized on software localization and translation. One of my clients is using Analysis Services in a globally deployed application.

The plug-in that allows you to create cubes and dimensions in Visual Studio also has some very basic features to insert the translations for strings. But copy and paste is far far away from what a professional translator needs to efficiently translate software applications in highly automated environments.

Directly localizing the cube files seems to be impossible as new Translation nodes must be inserted with GUIDs that are referenced in other parts of the file.

Here are my questions:
    Does anyone has experience with translating cube files?
    Is there a function in Visual Studio to export/import the translation grid into XML, CSV, text or any other useful format? Perhaps someone has implemented this using the VS object model?

Thanks for looking into my questions and happy x-mas.

Achim Herrmann
    • Moved by Alex Feng (SQL) Friday, December 25, 2009 5:28 AM move to a more appropriate forum (From:SQL Server Tools General)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:48 PM

All replies

• Achim,

SSAS has built-in OLAP translation facilities. Translations are stored in the data warehouse database tables and the OLAP cube.

Links:  Working with Translations (SSAS)

Attribute Data Translation Dialog Box (SSAS)

Customizing object names in Analysis Services database using translations

Following image is the sample translation tab in Business Intelligence Development Studio.

Let us know if helpful. 

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & BI Training, SSAS, SSIS, SSRS; http://www.SQLUSA.com
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:00 AM
  • Hello Kalman,

thanks for your help.

I already know the inbuilt translation facilities, but this is nothing a professional translator can work with. Visual Studio is a development environment and none of the features that usually brings efficiency and quality to a translation process are available in Visual Studio. Translators are usually paid by word and strongly depend on their tools. Translating in such an environment is like letting you edit XML files using the standard Notepad editor.

I'm looking for a function that helps to export the original strings and re-import the translations. Maybe by scripting in Visual Studio or by converting the XML files using XSLT.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Achim Herrmann

Monday, January 4, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

you would write your own .Net application by using AMO (Analysisservices Management Objects)
    and add/change the translations programmatically

could this be an alternative for yor case?

greets,
    gerhard
    - www.pmOne.com -
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Achim,

I'm facing the same problem; did you find a solution?

Thanks

Friday, February 4, 2011 11:41 PM