using web parts to group input controls but no database links required RRS feed

• Question

• User1584574419 posted

hi,

sorry - 'hobby coder alert' but here goes....

is it possible to use web parts in VS 2017 Community edition BUT  - I want to just use the web part as a 'grouping' control so I can drop down some

additional data entry text box fields (if required) and collect additional user data. I do not want to have the controls linked/bound to any databases.

I will do database transactions later in my business objects.

When I try and use any web part in VS 2017 Community I just keep getting errors saying that there is no reference found to any MSSQL Express server.

Am I misunderstanding web parts completely or should I just build a custom user control instead? I just want to have a nice tidy input page so I can 'drop down'

an additional input box panel if required and close/minimise the panel if not. I thought a web part may suite this requirement?

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Friday, February 1, 2019 9:30 AM

Answers

• User839733648 posted

Hi ubique,

According to your description, I'm sorry that I could not understand your requirement clearly.

I want to just use the web part as a 'grouping' control so I can drop down some additional data entry text box fields (if required) and collect additional user data. I do not want to have the controls linked/bound to any databases.

I'm confused about that what your dropdown means. 

Do you mean that when you click one button and then you want it to show a panel and then you could add information in it?

If it is, I think Bootstrap Modal maybe a choice. https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/components/modal/ 

Or if possible, please provide more information about your requirement like your testing codes and a sketch of your requirements page。

And this will be easier for us to help with you.

Best Regards,

Jenifer

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 3:19 AM

All replies

• User839733648 posted

Hi ubique,

According to your description, I'm sorry that I could not understand your requirement clearly.

I want to just use the web part as a 'grouping' control so I can drop down some additional data entry text box fields (if required) and collect additional user data. I do not want to have the controls linked/bound to any databases.

I'm confused about that what your dropdown means. 

Do you mean that when you click one button and then you want it to show a panel and then you could add information in it?

If it is, I think Bootstrap Modal maybe a choice. https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/components/modal/ 

Or if possible, please provide more information about your requirement like your testing codes and a sketch of your requirements page。

And this will be easier for us to help with you.

Best Regards,

Jenifer

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 3:19 AM
  • User1584574419 posted

hi Jenifer,

thank you for your answer - you have pointed me to modal control and I have discovered the ajax toolkit aswell.

this will all help me achieve what I need.

I thought I could use web parts to implement a collapsible panel type but I think web parts are just too complicated for what I need.

I can use modal or ajax toolkit collapsible panel for my needs.

many thanks.

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 10:31 AM