none
Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 Full reset

Question

• Hello,

Since i've installed the VS2015 update 2 RC I've been hitting various problems all regarding some packages I was not able to install. I did a complete unistall, reinstalled Update 1, then after hitting the same problem, reinstalled Update 2 RTM without results.

So i need to do a full reset (full uninstall, wipe settings and reinstall)

I'm running Windows 10 Pro build 14316

can someone help?

also anyone knows where the installer stores the installation files?

Here are some screenshots of the problems

Sunday, April 10, 2016 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

Thank you for the quick answer.

(1) The latest package of Xamarin was created on 3/25/2016, so i deleted it

(2) I tried to install it via the PM console when you first answered to my post, but i was not able to open the console.

(3) After installation I'm going to see if it does work, if it doesn't, i'll unistall it again, clean up using the blog post, and reinstall using the ISO provided on visualstudio.com

By the way, I'm running on Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 14316

---UPDATE

there was a problem with the installer, using the ISO and restoring packages from NuGet worked, everything works now.

Thank you for your help,

Simone Natalini

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Simone,

>>Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices...

Like this thread:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36378440/could-not-load-file-or-assembly-microsoft-visualstudio-connectedservices-how-t

Please check that whether it is related to the Visual Studio Connected Services SDK 2.0.0 package.

For this error:

>>this template attempted to load component assembly 'NuGet.VisualStudio.Interop, Version=1.0.0.0,Culture=neutral...

Do you custom the project template? Maybe you could check that whether it is related to the Nuget packages like the comment "Adding packages to a template" in this document:

https://docs.nuget.org/create/packages-in-visual-studio-templates

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 11, 2016 8:11 AM
  • Both won't work, how can i do a full reset?

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:13 PM
  • Hi Simone,

To make sure that it is not related to add-ins or extension tools in your VS IDE.

Please run your VS in safe mode, check the result again.

Devenv.exe /SafeMode

You could also reset your VS settings, and create a new project.

TOOLS->Import and Export Settings Wizard->Reset all settings->select “No, just reset settings, overwriting my current settings”->Choose a Default Collection of settings.

If you really want to clean up the VS and re-install it.

The detailed steps:

1. Download the setup application you used to originally install Visual Studio 2015. If you installed from media, please insert that media.

2.Open a command prompt.
      a.Click Run on the Start menu (Start + R).
      b.Type cmd and press OK (Enter).
    3.Type in the full path to the setup application and pass the following command line switches: /uninstall /force
      Example: D:\vs_xxx.exe /uninstall /force
    4.Click the Uninstall button and follow the prompts.

Restart your PC, and then re-install it again.

If still no help, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 3:28 AM
  • Tried the safe mode. Did not work either.

I'm gonna try to force uninstall. Will let you know how it goes

Thanks again,

Simone Natalini

Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:22 PM
  • Hi Simone Natalini,

I look forward to hearing from you, if you get any latest information, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, April 18, 2016 2:52 AM
  • Hi Jack,

I've been tryin to uninstall forcing it with /unistall /force

It won't work, says arguments are invalid.

I'm unistalling right now with the normal procedure, and then i'll download an ISO from visualstudio.com and follow this https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2015/07/17/removing-visual-studio-components-left-behind-after-an-uninstall/ to completely remove it and reinstall it

Thanks again, looking forward to solve this problem.

Simone Natalini

---Update

Unistalled  and reinstalled. Still not working. Plus also Blend for Visual Studio won't work.

Here's the vslogs.zip you've asked

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:25 PM
  • Hi Simone Natalini,

I got the following error messages in your setup log:

>>(1)Xamarin -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2711. The arguments are: Xamarin_Bonjour,

>>(2)Microsoft Visual Studio Connected Services -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action vim83F7980C24EFBB66B872F4C1120B9405, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe, command: /q  /skuName:Community /skuVersion:14.0 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.vsix" /admin ]

>>(3)[2A24:279C][2016-04-19T20:55:14]e000: Error 0x80048646: Process returned error: 0x80048646
    [2A24:279C][2016-04-19T20:55:14]e000: Error 0x80048646: Failed to execute EXE package.
    [291C:0D18][2016-04-19T20:55:14]e000: Error 0x80048646: Failed to configure per-machine EXE package.

(1) Please make sure that it is not related to the old version Xamarin cache:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35805135/unable-to-install-xamarin-from-vs-2015-setup

(2) I still feel that you installed certain Nuget packages in your VS, maybe you could clean up them using the Package Manager Console with command: Uninstall-Package PackageId to remove it. For more detailed information about Package Manager Console you can find here: http://docs.nuget.org/docs/reference/package-manager-console-powershell-reference

(3) Like the blog provided by you in the latest reply, maybe you could clean up all folders which are related to the VS, and then re-download the VS with update 2 here:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

Before you re-install it, please make sure that it has the same SHA-1 Values like the following document:https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-iso-sha1-vs.aspx

In addition, if possible, please update your Windows to the latest version, check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 5:59 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thank you for the quick answer.

(1) The latest package of Xamarin was created on 3/25/2016, so i deleted it

(2) I tried to install it via the PM console when you first answered to my post, but i was not able to open the console.

(3) After installation I'm going to see if it does work, if it doesn't, i'll unistall it again, clean up using the blog post, and reinstall using the ISO provided on visualstudio.com

By the way, I'm running on Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 14316

---UPDATE

there was a problem with the installer, using the ISO and restoring packages from NuGet worked, everything works now.

Thank you for your help,

Simone Natalini

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:00 AM
  • Hi Simone Natalini,

Glad to know that this issue has been resolved, if so, would you please mark helpful replies as the answers? So it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue to research and find the answer, and I could close this case for you.

Thank you for your support and co-operation.

Sincerely,

Jack

Thursday, April 21, 2016 2:10 AM