Office Open XML, Excel Object Model and .Net RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.  I have a question regarding OfficeOpen XML and the.Net platform.  I work with Excel via Automation using VB.  I want to understand how the new XML formats for Excel 2007 are going to affect my approach to developing solutions for Excel.  Typically I use Automation by referencing the Excel Object Model 12.0 in my VB projects.  This allows me to access the Excel Object Model and the project runs by opening Excel on the client side. 

As I move forward, I now know that I can work with the Office Open XML and Open Document Format (ODF) for all spreadsheets.  If I decide to move towards a web-based solftware solution (say ASP.Net) and focus on the new XML format (Office Open XML and ODF), does this imply that I will no longer use the Excle Object Model via Automation?  Does this mean that I have to learn a new Object model for Excel XML and ODF?  Assume further that I may want to dump the spreadsheets into a SQL/Oracle Server at some point and reassemble them.  How do these new formats aid me in doing so?

I cannot seem to find any information to answer these questions.

Thanks

EM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks for your post, however I regret to inform you this is not the correct forum to get you the answers you need. This forum is for supporting Microsoft Open Protocol Documentation.

Please re-post your question at the following forum and they should be able to assist you:

http://openxmldeveloper.org/forums/default.aspx

Thanks!

Hongwei Sun -MSFT

Hongwei Sun -MSFT
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Hi,

if you need same model to read and write XLS, XLSX, CSV, ODS formats I recommend GemBox.Spreadsheet .NET Excel component .

Is supports import/export Excel file to DataSet so you can easily save and load your Excel files to various databases that have ADO.NET provider.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Hi all.  I have a question regarding OfficeOpen XML and the.Net platform.  I work with Excel via Automation using VB.  I want to understand how the new XML formats for Excel 2007 are going to affect my approach to developing solutions for Excel.  Typically I use Automation by referencing the Excel Object Model 12.0 in my VB projects.  This allows me to access the Excel Object Model and the project runs by opening Excel on the client side. 

As I move forward, I now know that I can work with the Office Open XML and Open Document Format (ODF) for all spreadsheets.  If I decide to move towards a web-based solftware solution (say ASP.Net) and focus on the new XML format (Office Open XML and ODF), does this imply that I will no longer use the Excle Object Model via Automation?  Does this mean that I have to learn a new Object model for Excel XML and ODF?  Assume further that I may want to dump the spreadsheets into a SQL/Oracle Server at some point and reassemble them.  How do these new formats aid me in doing so?

I cannot seem to find any information to answer these questions.

Thanks

EM

I have the same problem. Have you got the workaround? Maybe you can show me. Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:54 AM
  • Hi Juliet,

We've redirected this question to http://openxmldeveloper.org/forums/post/4638.aspx where you might find a response that's useful.

Best regards,

Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

• Marked as answer by Tom Jebo MSFT Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:25 PM